Squeaking noise while steering at slow speeds

Hello,

I have a 2001 Audi S4. It makes a loud squeaking noise when I turn the steering wheel and drive very slowly. It happens every time I parallel park. The mechanic said it's nothing to worry about, but it's really embarrasing and I would like to get it fixed. Does any happen to know what could be causing this noise and how I could fix it?

Thanks

Reply to
josephsamuels

Could be many things, from brake noise through bad wheel bearing to bad front differential components...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Reply to
Tony

That description matches symptoms I had on my last car (a BMW). The first time, it turned out to be the power steering pump that was worn out (GBP 500). The second, it was the steering rack (GBP 700).

Peter.

Reply to
Peter

Thanks for your help

Reply to
josephsamuels

Is it only on reverse? I had something similar in an A3 recently, slow reverse caused this terrible squealing noise coming from somewhere (difficult to identify inside the car). After several visits to the dealers ("we can't find any noise on the car sir") they cleaned out the entire braking system (FOC!) and that did the trick.

Here's hoping it's something similar with yours and not an expensive pump/rack replacement.

Reply to
Graham

I notice it most while parallel parking and the car is moving in reverse. When you say "cleaned out the entire breaking system", what do you mean?

Reply to
josephsamuels