2004 Camry -- Pops/Knocks While Turning Steering Wheel??

My year old 2004 Camry with about 13000miles has started knocking/poping when turning the steering wheel. It is easier to feel than hear the pop, but if it is done in a very quiet car while turning
very slowly in an empty parking lot the passenger can hear it. The pops also seem to happen while rolling without moving the steering wheel if the tires hit a small bump.
Anybody know what might be causing this?
Ken
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:15:43 -0500, Ken Hall wrote:

My guess would be either a strut mount or a ball joint, but you're talking something that doesn't usually happen in a Toyota for about 120,000 miles...
snipped-for-privacy@Trueno.GTS (hachiroku) wrote:

>>13000miles has started >>knocking/poping when turning the >>steering wheel. It is easier to feel than >>hear the pop, but if it is done in a very >>quiet car while turning very slowly in >>an empty parking lot the passenger >>can hear it. The pops also seem to >>happen while rolling without moving >>the steering wheel if the tires hit a >>small bump.

>>this?

That's my guess.

>usually happen in a Toyota for about >120,000 miles...
Sorry, not true in my case. I had a new '99 RAV4 that did it at 12000 miles and my Lexus RX300 did it at around 20K. The '85 Camry had it too.
It's worse in cold weather. The good news is, it's just an annoying noise and not a real 'problem', as far as I know. At least the dealerships have danced around it with their patented, "It's all working to spec." (during warranty period.) After warranty, it's, "Your struts are bad."

Noises are difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose without hearing them firsthand. It could be strut mounts, ball joints, CV joints, steering shaft universal joint, rack, rack ends, loose wheel, etc.
Since the car is still under warranty, I'd bring it in and let pros diagnose and repair.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply
Ken Hall wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:15:43 -0500, Ken Hall

To anybody who might care, here is what the Toyota service center invoice says:
Cause 43: Steering main shaft assy tilt R&R Replace steering column assy
Cause: U-joint on steering shaft column was loose Repair: R&R Steering column Shaft Assembly
Ken

Thanks for the followup Ken, I wish more would do that...I'm also amazed that that ujoint would fail that soon...I hope that they replaced it under warranty?
--

-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can,

Yes, they did.