2004 Camry -- Pops/Knocks While Turning Steering Wheel??

My year old 2004 Camry with about 13000miles has started knocking/poping when turning the steering wheel. It is easier to feel than hear the pop, but if it is done in a very quiet car while turning very slowly in an empty parking lot the passenger can hear it. The pops also seem to happen while rolling without moving the steering wheel if the tires hit a small bump.

Anybody know what might be causing this?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

My guess would be either a strut mount or a ball joint, but you're talking something that doesn't usually happen in a Toyota for about 120,000 miles...

Reply to
hachiroku

Noises are difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose without hearing them firsthand. It could be strut mounts, ball joints, CV joints, steering shaft universal joint, rack, rack ends, loose wheel, etc.

Since the car is still under warranty, I'd bring it in and let pros diagnose and repair.

Reply to
Ray O

Do you have the radio volume turned to low? I'll bet if you turn it up the noise will go away. ;)

Take the vehicle to a competent repair shop before you lose steering control at 60 MPH, WBMA

mike hunt

Ken Hall wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

That's my guess.

Sorry, not true in my case. I had a new '99 RAV4 that did it at 12000 miles and my Lexus RX300 did it at around 20K. The '85 Camry had it too.

It's worse in cold weather. The good news is, it's just an annoying noise and not a real 'problem', as far as I know. At least the dealerships have danced around it with their patented, "It's all working to spec." (during warranty period.) After warranty, it's, "Your struts are bad."

Reply to
ravelation

Cause: U-joint on steering shaft column was loose Repair: R&R Steering column Shaft Assembly

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

Thanks for the followup Ken, I wish more would do that...I'm also amazed that that ujoint would fail that soon...I hope that they replaced it under warranty?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Yes, they did.

Ken