Thacham Categories

Hi,

I'm in the UK and have changed my car insurance company and the new insurer is insisting I have a Thatcham Category 2 immobiliser on my car.

I have a 2003 A4 - can anyone advise what Thatcham category the standard immobiliser is on the A4? I think it is at least a category

2 but need to be sure.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Westy

I suggest checking with your local dealer, but think that it'll probably be a category 1. You might find it helpful to check the Thatcham web site

, which includescategorised lists of security devices in pdf. The category 1 listappears to support my thinking. Peter.

Reply to
Peter

Thanks Peter - this page:

confirms the standard fit immobiliser on my vehicle is indeed Thatcham Cat 2.

Reply to
Westy

It doesn't matter, but that sounds odd to me: it means no alarm, just an immobiliser.

A4, all models, from March 01on have a Category 1 system. Do youreally only have an Audi Immobiliser (category 2) rather than AudiSecurity System I (category 1)? (Category 1 is better than category 2,so you meet your insurer's requirements either way.) As a matter of curiosity, which insurer is it? I'm a bit surprised that they didn't require category 1. Last time I used an insurer that needed me to check the category, they required me to have a category 1 system. (I did - that was on a '98 BMW 3 Series.) When I bought my A4 and switched to my present insurer, they didn't ask, presumably because they already knew what I had as standard and were satisfied with it.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter

The required category of alarm depends on the car being insured, how desirable it is to thiefs, how often they go missing, and how strong the factory system is, a lot of the latest subaru's for eg not only need cat1 but tracker too, my Golf GTI just needed a cat2 fitted.

Reply to
Jon B