Thatcham Category 2??

Hi

I just brought a Calibra 16v and the insurers require aThatcham Cat2 fitted alarm/immobiliser, what does this mean, do the cars have them fitted as standard?? If not, how much are they? Do other insurers require this? and if so how did the previous owner become insured?

Sorry for the barrage of questions,any ideas?

Thanks Kev

Reply to
Mantorok

Cat 2 is simply an immobiliser. Cat 1 is combined alarm & immobiliser.

Expext to pay around £150 for a Cat 2 immobiliser, and £350 for a Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser. Unfortunately, you cannot self fit these, the category certificate you require for insurance includes the standard of fitting - and you need to pass an exam with the individual alarm manufacturer for that.

Insurance companies are a rule unto themselves, and they can indeed decide to insist on a Cat 1 or 2 system being fitted as a condition of the proposal. Some do, some don't, and some may even insist on a particular brand. You'll need to shop around for the best deals on this

- some make it a condition, and other might offer some discount (although it'd take years to recoup the cost).

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Thanks

I've heard that any Vauxhall (from the V-grill onwards) have Cat 2 approved immobilisers, I just can't find out where to check if this is correct or not.

Kev

Reply to
Mantorok

You need to be careful of the differences here. It could have a Cat 2 'standard' of immobiliser, but it doesn't have to be 'approved' by Thatcham. If it has been 'approved' there should be a certificate available for presenting to the insurer. Main dealers should keep a copy.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Yes. Try another insurance Co. I doubt if that many Co's require CAT 2 alarms on Calibras. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Reply to
Mantorok

You need to log in for that!

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Given that modern cars are almost impossible for joyriders without the keys, slightly older ones are likely to be hit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just sign up it's free, i had to.

Kev

Reply to
Mantorok

But I don't have a Vauxhall, and have no intentions of getting one ;-)

I'll take your word for it.

Cheers.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt