Alarm/Immobiliser on 620Si - Thatcham approved?

Hi all,

Just filling out the online insurance quotes for another year on my 1998R

620Si. Does anyone know whether the factory fit alarm/immobiliser is Thatcham approved? If so, to what level?

Cheers, Ade

Reply to
Adrian

It doesn't matter whether it is or not. The insurance group given to the car, by your insurance company, already takes the factory alarm/immobiliser into account. If they're specifically asking you about the security you have fitted, then they're referring to aftermarket items.

Reply to
Nom

No, it isn't. This is mostly due to it's security being somewhat, well, crap. It's hard to get the engine started, but that's about it.

Strange question, that's not how it works.

Category 3 is mechanical devices (e.g. DiskLoks). Category 2 is immobilisers. Category 1 is combined alarm and immobilisers.

Hence the alarm would be Cat 1 if it were approved (which it isn't).

Reply to
Lordy

Ah - I see!

Cheers for the explanation. Maybe I ought to increase the security over the standard. I haven't yet as thought I'd read somewhere that the later 600's had good alarms, but a bit more certainly wouldn't harm....

Ade

Reply to
Adrian

I was surprised, I must admit. The options on the insurance site were after market (both Thatcham approved and non-approved as options) or factory fit, again both Thatcham approved and non-approved. Slightly academic, as they weren't the cheapest, as it happens.

A number even asked whether a fitting certificate was available, even if 'factory fit' was selected!

Cheers, Ade

alarm/immobiliser

Reply to
Adrian

The immobiliser is fine, it's just the alarm is a bit weak and the absense of deadlocks is quite a damaging omission on a car of this nature.

For some reason the alarm on the 200's and 400's *is* listed by Thatcham, but the alarm fitted to the 600 isn't. Could never really work it out :/

Reply to
Lordy