Tyre recommendations, 2003 A4Q 1.9 TDI

Had an A4 Quattro (the 1.9 TDI 130bhp model) for a few months, already clocked 13k miles on it but that's another story...

Anyway, with the mileage I'm doing, going to need a new set of boots in the next few months. Currently running Michelin Primacy 215/55R16s.

On the last car (front wheel drive version of the same car) I had Continental Sport Contact 2s, 205/55R16, which had awesome levels of grip. The Michelins don't seem to be as grippy as the Contis were, particularly in the wet (although having the Quattro does mean it still grips better than the last car).

Now, I'd love to whack a set of Conti Sport 2s on this car, but... they don't do them in a 215/55 profile, only the Conti Premiums. When I first got the previous A4 it had Premiums, and also had a tendency to come off roundabouts sideways in the wet. Fun fun fun, I think not!

So, my options are:

  1. See if Continental decide to do the Sport Contact 2 in a 215/55 in the next few months (I *really* like these tyres, had nothing but good experiences with them).

  1. Stick to Michelin Primacy, perhaps go for the Primacy Sport.

  2. Switch to a different tyre, considering Dunlop SP9000, Pirelli P6000 or Toyo Proxes. Not driven on Toyos before, but have heard good things about them.

I'd prefer either an asymmetric or directional profile tyre, as I've found these a lot better than bi-directional profiles in the past.

I briefly considered switching to a 205/55 profile, but I'd rather not change profiles if possible. The speedo is pretty accurate on this car and I don't want to increase any potential error.

Any opinions, suggestions etc from anyone?

Reply to
Glenn Richards

"Glenn Richards" wrote

CSC2 is OK, but not as grippy and responsive as some other tires I've tried, mainly Bridgestone S03. That said, CSC2 is much quieter and much more comfortable so it all depends what your priorities are. The CSC2 is actually a pretty good compromise, unless you attend race events and such.

Meh... from all I've read the Primacy is a rather mediocre tire.

Check out Dunlop SP Maxx (successor to the SP9000), Goodyear F1 GS-D3, and Pirelli P-Zero Nero. I'd stay away from P6000 - their wet performance isn't all that great and they have a tendency to become very noisy as they wear down a bit.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete