Tyre mileage

Is there a site that compares tyres mileage performance? I'm especially interested in my Michelin Pilot Exalto's - anyone know how much mileage I can get out of these?

Thanks

Reply to
Scooby Doo

There are waaaaay too many variables. If you do a lot of motorway miles you _should_ see better wear, on an assumption that you stick pretty much to the flow of traffic and don't do the 140 to 70 decelerations.

Some people manage to make front tyres a service replacement.

Michelins tend to last better than many other brands. But that doesn't help!

Reply to
DervMan

Spot On.

Since going FWD I found front tyres lasting 12 - 15k miles in urban driving/ urban commuting/holiday mix, even driven gently. Now I do motorway commuting,urban driving,holiday mix of use, tyre last about 40k on the front, and would last infinitely on the back if I didn't move them to the front.

Reply to
R. Murphy

What car?

Reply to
T.

Your point being?

Reply to
SteveH

Rover 75 - front tyres every 8-12k, service every 14-16...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Tyres can last from one race to 40,000+ miles. It all depends what they are on and how you use them. My bike used to eat the rear in 2000 miles but my Pug Diseasel will use them on the back till they disintergrate from old age. Michelins can't even get on to a race track these days !!!! ;-)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Hi Scooby,

I've been running 205/55 R15 Pilot Exaltos on my Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X (now VERY old - 1996 Mk.II vintage) for years.

Best I can get to a front set of these is about 20-21K.

Rears are good for 40-50K+ though...!

Cheers

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

Oh - one other thing. I'm reliably informed by Micheldever (a big tyre place that I seem to go to a lot!) that Pilot Exalto is a performance tyre, not built for longevity.

Michelin Pilot Primacy, on the other hand, is designed to last a lot longer. My girlfriend has them on the front of her Mondeo (same engine, same vintage) and, 25K later, they are still looking OK tread-wise. Primacy is really then marketed at 'high mileage drivers'.

Pity they don't do em in 205/55 R15, which is my tyre size. Typical...!

Al

Reply to
Alan Dempster

Um, just a guess, but perhaps his point is, like he said, some people manage to make front tyres a service replacement?

[As opposed to others who, er, don't]
Reply to
David Taylor

Had 195/60 14 Exaltos on my BX16v. 160bhp, generally driven hard and always new tyres on back, backs on to front scenario. 2 new tyres every 10k miles. Can't praise them enough, grippy as a grippy thing, wet and dry.

-- r

If you and I had the same car, same tyres, and our own commuting route, we'd wear out our tyres at different rates.

Reply to
DervMan

Good lord, what do you do to them? I put some cheapy tyres on the Xantia and they lasted over 20k but were s**te in the wet. Braking power was well down. The CEAT ones I've got on now seem to have better grip and wear less.

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Tim S Kemp" contains these words:

What on /earth/ do you do to 'em?

I've done 2k miles on the new tyres on the Audi (hardly a light car, the Audi 100 2.5 tdi) and have hardly worn the moulding pipples off 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

Use them to over 100% of their ability in a consistent manner? :)

Reply to
DervMan

That was the 2.0 V6, right?

Rather more power than the guy I know who puts the tyres on his Ka down to

3mm in ten thousand miles.

:-/

Reply to
DervMan

I find that cheap tyres outlast expensive ones in my hands. Mainly beacuse cheap ones are made from hard non-grip rubber.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from "DervMan" contains these words:

Nope - the 2.5 - that's why it says 2.5! It's the older straight-5 turbot diseasel.

Reply to
Guy King

No, sorry, my bad. I was asking Tim (blushes).

Reply to
DervMan

I must have got a brand that managed to be comprehensively bad. Most of my driving is down the motorway so you wouldn't expect a huge amount of wear.

Reply to
Malc