2001 A4 Fueling problems

Hi Everyone,

New here... I did a search before asking but didn't find any results.

I'm having a problem refueling my newly purchased 2001 A4. The hold open latch on the pump doesn't work at all, it continues to shut off. If I try pumping manually I have to go at a snail's pace to get the tank to fill without shutting off the pump. I've only successfully filled my tank once so far and even then I don't think it got totally filled and it took me nearly 15 minutes to do that! It's COLD here and I hate the thought of taking that much time each time I need to fill up.

I've tried different stations (as someone suggested to me) and nothing seems to help. Any idea what's wrong?

Reply to
info

Try rotating the nozzle and see if that helps. However, it does sound as though there is some obstruction or kink in the pipe between the inlet and the tank, which is slowing down the flow.

Jay Somerset

Hi Info, It sounds like the fuel tank vent is clogged. I believe that the tank vents through a charcoal canister to minimize emissions, although you'd have to verify this with some of the A4 folks..... Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

Thanks folks. I finally found some info on the problem and will do some testing around the charcoal canister. Hopefully that's all it is because the other option is not a pretty one that involves replacing the gas tank. The dealer is not an option as I bought it used with no warranty (at least not a warranty that covers this kind of problem).

Reply to
info

Hi!

I also had that problem with a 2003 A4. I found out that if I didn't put the nozzle all the way in so the angle became more horizontal the latch would hold.

There was certainly a technique that I had to learn but when that was found I never experienced the problem again.

Good luck!

Reply to
Runar Klokk