OK, and the scores are in,

Tank to tank fill, 70 litre full capacity, gauge showing two markers below the half, and 39 litres added for 262 miles driven.

A good mix of stop start morning motorway, fast flowing evening motorway, a run to costco, loaded with heavy bottles on the way back, and a couple of lunch runs loaded with coders to the deli.

The magic number is 30.43mpg. And .43mpg is all important. But it is better than even the maker thought it could do.

Reply to
Elder

I think it's probably fair to say that that's exceeded most people's expectations. Though the "loaded with heavy bottles" bit - I'd bet that said bottles probably didn't exceed the weight of your average fat bastard, so only equivalent to one passenger (or 1.5), so not a big factor. And what was the 30mpg figure the manufacturer quoted? Overall average?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

That's roughly what I get in a mixture of suburban driving and "not hanging about" in the MX-5.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

My range was stop/start 20 in the morning, to crusing at between 50ish and 70ish depending how bored I was. Interestingly, if I kept it level at 70 and 80, cruising on level road without having to compensate for up or down hill, it would still record a steady 30mpg. But if you so much as twitch on the pedal it all goes to pot.

Reply to
Elder

Ah...I wonder if the MPG gauge is actually nothing more than a vaccuum gauge.

Reply to
Conor

Yup, they qouted (according to the paper with the manual) a combined of

29.7 I think, Tim found 28.something somewhere for a manual too.

Amazing how much that binding brake, and the underinflated tyres can make (more the brake I know). 10mpg and 1/4tank a week different.

BTW, the tyres they checked before balancing, and I found were all over the shop after a couple of days, aren't leaky.

I checked them each week, from cold at the same compressor less than

1/4mile from home. 2 lost nothing, 2 lost less than 1psi. So much for them paying someone to check the pressures then do the alignment.
Reply to
Elder

I'm pleased for you - really I am. If it's doing what you need it to do, then that's good.

But.

You knew there was a but.

If fuel consumption is 'that' important ( pot / kettle, I know) didn't you buy the wrong car ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Overall, it seems to be pretty good.

30 in 6th records between 50 and 60mpg depending on the road. 40 about 40mpg, 50 shows about 30 but 60 is closer to 40mpg, then 70 and 80 are a steady 30mpg when held steady.
Reply to
Elder

To start with, I'm saving 5p a litre over the Saab, because the Saab needed Super to run properly, so there is a couple of quid a week even if I only got the same, add to the fact that I'm getting a little better economy,

It won't need repairing so often, Using an indie as I plan, the servicing looks to be even cheaper than the indie I used for the saab, and slightly closer and will let you provide parts too if you can get them cheaper or want modded ones, or happy with pattern ones.

And it is a couple of quid cheaper a year on insurance.

And the biggest bonus of all, the missus quite likes it, and isn't nagging because it meets her criteria.

Problem now is, I have a very good nick, lowish miles, well mainted car that is eminently moddable car that can with serious investment produce a lot more power, and much better economy. I need to be really careful. went over the top with the GT4 and spend well over twice what I bought it for on mods, yes it drove nicer, handled nicer, did better on fuel and went much better, but obviously not worth anything like what I spent.

Got to be disciplined. Nothing stupid, just aftermarket upgrade when it is cheaper and (not or) better than factory original. Oh, and a GROM cable and bluetooth handsfree.

Reply to
Elder

i wasn't far off saying 28mpg then, my BMW managed 34mpg on a long run once with air con on and 4 people in the car.

Reply to
Vamp

Haven't done a proper decent run. Closest would be the Costco run on Thursday, 20 miles each way, no traffic.

I don't usually count a run as decent unless it is at least 100miles combined, and preferably that each way.

So I should be able to improve on that.

Reply to
Elder

I said 31-32mpg :-)

Reply to
DanB

Nah, that's just 'Instant Consumption' read-outs for you. My 206 used to do

999.9mpg rolling down into the village, in gear obviously so the fuel cut on the overrun was doing it's thing, dipping the clutch and coasting with it idling made some 240mpg.. It used to do what Carl describes too on the motorway, although not as extreme by the sound of it, sitting at about 80mph, 40ishmpg, foot twitch slightly to get 85mpg and it didn't go down too much, but push your foot down and it dropped sharply. Lowest it ever read was 9mpg, 4 or 5 up on the limiter in 2nd :-)
Reply to
DanB

Instant drop to 20, then gradual climb back to somewhere in between once you have backed off slightly to cruise at new speed instead of accelerate.

Reply to
Elder

stop there! lowish miles? i'd call lowish miles to be about 30-40k not 80k

still seems like your happy with it for now at least! i say don't mod it and keep it standard and it'll last you a while. all i did to my mini was xenon kit and new radio total cost about £100 quid which is all it needs to keep me happy.

speaking of the mini, i've been going to work in the morning down the back roads, i have to leave 10mins earlier than normal but the mini is such a giggle down the old b roads and it works out less miles too. i find it a good wake up in the mornings :) although i do sometimes wish i had a cooper s with a decent exhaust for some pops and bangs :)

was having a play friday morning with an A3 down the backroads, dunno what engine was in the audi but he was able to catch me on the straights easily but in the corners i was losing him by a good distance, every time he caught up he was having to brake hard again for the next bend. i was going into the bends at 60mph without even having to touch the brakes where by the drop of the nose on the audi he was having to shave off a lot of speed before the corner hehe. i'm guessing it wasn't a quattro as i might of lost out to one of them both got to the junction at the end of the road with grins on our faces hehe.

Reply to
Vamp

10k a year is below average. 12k is average. Should have been closer to 100k by now.
Reply to
Elder

On Ye Olde 3 series its a vac gauge mainly, but the gauge is also linked into the speedo electronics.

Mine spends most of the day hovering around 20 mpg in town but settles at 35ish on a 70ish mph cruise. Ties in pretty well with the actual consumption, but having the little swingy needle at the expensive end of the scale does produce some great sounds.

Reply to
Pete M

I've been doing the same thing in an Impreza Turbo we've got in at the moment. "S" reg Mk1, UK spec with a few sensible tweaks. I keep thinking I should buy it and run it for a while but my driving licence is a quivering wreck every time I hear the flat-4 fire up.

Reply to
Pete M

Oh Yus.

Reply to
Elder

I've just been down to the garage to fill up the Ford and to buy

100litres of diseasel in 4x25L drums. I could feel the difference in performance on the way back.
Reply to
Steve Firth