Why are Audi dealerships reluctant to give out part numbers?

The times I've phoned up (various) Audi dealerships to find out the price of a part, they seem to have been reluctant to give out the part number. Anyone know why this is the case? Is this just a UK problem?

Reply to
Hooch

suppose its easy to Google..........

Reply to
Yes Baby

Because they are not daft. They have seen it all before and know that the only reason you want to know is to source it cheaper elsewhere. They are not a charity.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Not necessarily. You may just need the part number for future reference. It would save you (and them) the effort of looking it up a second time.

Of course. It seems that they make more money from parts than from new cars!

Reply to
Hooch

(...)

Parts personnel at dealerships are sometimes payed based on sales commissions. I'd have to side with them because if I were in there place, hell I wouldn't give out the part number either.

Reply to
Madesio

And if he bought the part he would indeed have the part number for future reference...ergo everyone is happy. A lot of cheaper parts hardly pay for the storemans time in finding them and the admin involved but at the end of the day it costs a lot of money to keep these businesses going. They can usually spot a time waster or chancer a mile off and boy do they need to. ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

They obviously haven't quite grasped the concept of goodwill, then?

Reply to
Hooch

And many such parts are a one-off purchase. No need for future reference.

Here's a case in point. I needed a power steering hose for an Audi. Went to the main dealer, he looked up the part number for me, gave me the price and the part number. Given the expense (GBP 135) I looked around for second hand units or alternatives. Couldn't find one, phoned the dealer and ordered it over the phone. He didn't have to waste time looking it up again.

Reply to
Hooch

They probably have, up until a certain point in which they realized that there is a fine-line in business, where overextending goodwill too often doesn't pay the bills.

Reply to
Madesio

SNIP

I have talked to dealers that will fax you the diagram of the parts just to make sure that it is the right part. No one wants to order the wrong parts! lol Not sure if the parts numbers are on the diagram but there has to be some sort of identifying number. I think that is above and beyond what they "have" to do!

I guess it depends on the dealership. 8^) Now if you have to order that part, they usually make you pay for it and maybe you can buy over the phone with a CC.

If you really need the part number then isn't there a Russian site with the part numbers? Or can't you buy the ETKA software in Europe?

I use this one online

which I think gets redirected to

dave AKA vwdoc1

I think the "identifying number" maps to the VAG part number elsewhere.

Thanks, very useful indeed!

Reply to
Hooch

lists the threedatabases. It's conventional to refer to "the Family Album".

Reply to
Phil Payne