Resetting the ECU in my Audi?

I've noticed that whenever I have the battery out, the ECU in the engine acts up for a while; not controlling the idling rate correctly.
Is there a way to reset the ECU - my motor is an Audi Cabriolet 2.6 V6. I seem to remember there was a way to do this without needing to visit the garage? Does anyone knows what that is?
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Fearsome grindings.
Alex Buell wrote:

By taking the battery out, your ECU is reset to its default values. There is then usually a manufacturer-specific process that involves a set amount of time idling, followed by driving in a variety of conditions.
TBH, I've found that after a short drive, all the settings are re-learnt very quickly.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 13:27:46 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Chris Whelan:

That's the strange thing about all this; I took my motor out for a 30 mins drive but the idling still wasn't quite right it's as if it was remapped 1000rpm higher than usual, and some times letting off the accelerator pedal caused the engine to rev higher and then lower. It was all perfect the day before.
I'll try again tonight and see if it's back to normal yet.
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Fearsome grindings.

YOu could try searching the VagCom forums.
On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:03:42 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Duncan Wood:

Thanks, that was an enormous help - apparently it should clear itself in time - it's apparently quite common.
I now have another problem; the speedo doesn't work anymore! :-(
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Fearsome grindings.

Ithink sods law of coincidence has got you there. (Coincidence possibly involving what you did :-( ) . Bentley in the US will sell you a manual with a proper wiring diagram or erwin will sell you ine quicker over here.
On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 23:11:01 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Duncan Wood:

Bugger the speedo, I've got my satnav set up to show the current speed!
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Fearsome grindings.
Alex Buell wrote:

I don't know if you V6 needs a throttle body aligment, but some VAG engines do, after the battery or throttle body are rmeoved.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Throttle_Body_Alignment_ (TBA)

I was just about to post the exact same thing. If your car is drive by wire you will probably need vag-com (or a visit to a garage) to re-align the throttle body. I used to own a VW Golf V6 4motion and downloaded a copy of the vag-com software. I 100% recommend getting yourself a vag-com cable from the likes of ebay and downloading a copy of vag-com. I found it a very useful tool in the time I owned the golf.
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:43:59 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of diy-newby:

The car's now back to normal. Started working properly last night - about time it did!
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Fearsome grindings.
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:06:11 +0100, Alex Buell

ABC engine code?
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:44:49 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Graz:

Yep, it's a ABC engine - 2.6 V6. Don't think it's a drive by wire engine though.
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Fearsome grindings.
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:08:59 +0100, Alex Buell

They're good engines. Mine has done over 200,000 miles.
Just out of curiosity, how high does your water temperature gauge go in normal driving conditions?
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:05:18 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Graz:

You can say that again, mine's just 300 miles shy of 245,000 miles!

Always at 90 degrees in normal traffic conditions - although when a themostat failed it went up to 1000 degrees - easily fixed.
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Fearsome grindings.
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 20:00:42 +0100, Alex Buell

Mine's lower than that. And the idle RPM in Neutral is a bit high (around 1000). I suspect one of the temperature senders may be duff.