Xenons

Hi,

My first thread in this group - hello to all :)

I'm currently researching a new A3 as my next company car. The base model will definitely be a 2.0TDI SE, but I'm currently deciding what options to have. Obviously, in an ideal world I'd have them all, but I doubt they're gonna go for that, so I have to decide what's most important.

I've always thought Xenons would be nice to have, but they're rather pricey just for "better headlights". I can't say I've ever found standard headlights wanting on any recent car I've had, so are Xenons really worth the money, or would I be better of using the cash elsewhere.

All opinions welcomed, TIA :)

Reply to
Toby Groves

I can't believe teh brightness & coverage on my wife's 325i. Wen laying out over $25k for a car, what's another $500 for better, safer night vision?

Reply to
Jimmy G

Toby, I retro fitted my Xenon's/HID and they are amazing trust me, it's easy to do, if you dont get them as standard

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Hello, yourself :o)

I had doubts, which were swiftly removed once I had a car that had them. It's no so much the coverage of the light pattern, more the colour - you get excellent definition of the road ahead, making it much easier to see what your approaching on (e.g.) minor roads.

Enough so that switching continually between dipped and main beam becomes a lot less important.

The difference isn't the same as when switching from 55/60 sealed-beams to halogens, but it /is/ readily apparent to the driver.

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I don't know how new A3 lights are, but the older one was crap!

When I replace my 1998 A3 with a new A3 last year I had Xenons fitted and described it as 'driving in daylight'

Try a test drive at night, I know, difficult in August :)

Wills

I was able to get a set of Stock S4 xenons with levelling motors, ballasts and bulbs, different components from different sources, for about US$600, which I believe is about 40% of retail at an Audi dealer. (Not necessarily 40% of the option cost, but 40% of buying the parts from a dealer). You have to keep looking and be patient.

I don't have the levelling system sensors, just the motors. I have been tweaking the headlight aim and alignment so as not to blind oncoming drivers. I have never been flashed by someone thinking my high beams are on.

If anyone knows of a source for a manual levelling system (i.e., perhaps a servo switch to control the levelling motors manually) please post here. I'd love to set up my car that way.

Has this thread really been around since 1/17/2002?

Reply to
Avantium

Actually it was not so much a question but a statement of disbelief.

This thread *has* been around since that Jan 2002 date. Look at this thread on the Google presentation of this newsgroup rather than your Usenet mail server.

Cheers.

Reply to
Avantium

Very strange! I wonder what criteria Google uses to tie these two separate sets of postings together.

Toby's post on 24 Aug has a different Subject line ('Xenons' instead of 'XENONS'), and has no References header. There is absolutely nothing to tie Toby's post to those two posts in January 2002. Unless you have some other evidence, other than the fact that Google has decided to link them, I am convinced that these are two entirely independent threads, and Google is messed up.

Reply to
Peter Bell

In article , Peter Bell writes

It was indeed, and many thanks to all those who've replied, I think I'll try hard to get the Xenons if I can.

Reply to
Toby Groves