2007 320i - Good Buy ?

As a Product Consultant I spend a lot of time driving hire cars to and from the various mine sites I need to visit.

The last time I traveled I was granted an upgrade by the hire car company. They presented me with a new 320i Exec.

During my 320i experience I couldn't believe what the car had to offer and it's road handling manners were outstanding to say the least. I walked away at the end of the week with great sorrow - to the point where I am now going to buy my own. I have approached to Brisbane based BMW dealers just to get an understanding how the BMW operate which was great with no disappointments.

The following is how I have specced it the way I want it:

320i Exec Electric Sunroof M Sports Pack Innovations Pack

What I would like to know is; are there any issues with this model that the dealer may not disclose ?

Generally, do BMW provide good product support ?

Cheers, Fritzables.

Fritzables

"Fritzables" wrote

Not sold in the US - there are quite a few UK posters here that may be able to offer specific feedback on that model.

BMW sales and service is quite spotty. Our friends in the UK are always complaining. So do we in the US; although problems here seem to be more warranty and related to service solutions from the North American subsidiary.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

We don't have the 320 in the States, we get the 325 or 328 (I forget which, but I'm pretty sure it's the 325 for the '07 models).

I do not want to diss the 320, but it is the base model for the platform. I suggest you try the upgrade model, 330 is the other choice here, I don't know what your options are. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the extra stuff you get at a not-so-different price.

In any case, my car(s) (I've had 3 of them altogether, and the 2nd and 3rd are in my inventory now) and I buy them used. The service the cars offer is top shelf. I do my own brake work, and pretty much anything that does not require opening of the motor or transmission. My cars have given me the lowest cost of ownership of any of the dozen or so cars I've owned over the years.

I am very happy with my BMW years and cars, and I am sure you will be happy driving whichever car you get. Try the next model up from the 320, you will be glad you did.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks Jeff,

Yea, after doing some research it appears the 320 is focused towards the European market and obviously has snuck into the Aussie market as well.

The next one up from the 320 is the 323 (downunder).

Thanks again.

Pete

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in news:f7Lyi.12218$4K6.6817@trnddc02:

Reply to
Fritzables

The 320 is a 4-cyl? That makes sense. The 6 is far more fun, and the gas consumption is similar.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Can I suggest - not knowing your particular financial situation - that you actually keep an open mind. Personally I have a 730d which is as fantastic as anything except for the top end performance of the V12.

Had a 320 sport diesel auto on load yesterday and found it OK to say the least but I definitely would NOT buy one. When back at the dealer I saw the new 330i Coupe - nice looking car and fast but still with that 3 series interior albeit this time in leather and a better Sat Nav with really nice and easy clean alloys so still a no buy for me.

The 5 series has all the right numbers inc a V10 rocket engine and a 200mph capability but unfortunately a 3 series style interior as does the beautiful 6 series.

I realise that my tastes are mine and not yours but if you intend using the car on the outback unmade roads and some of the other crappy roads you have out there I would advise you stay well clear of any SPORT suspension package on a ROAD car especially if ordering large wheels (over 18") It will make you sick soon after you put about 5000Km on the clock.

I think a better buy for your job would be a 3.0d X5 or X3?

Try to rent or borrow a 330i doesn't matter body style for a few days and see if you can live with it then try a 335di turbo diesel - that's a real mover and the coupe is a great looker and the mileage is over 40mpg (imp) or around

6.8Lit/100Km. The large engined cars are easier on the body and mind and last longer and the diesels are absolutely fantastic on acceleration considering your silly speed limits out there and hardly any traffic outside the towns and cities.

Hugh

Reply to
hsg

The 320? diesel gets rave reviews in the UK. A real gem - faster and much more economical.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmm. Many say the 4 cylinder handles better. And it certainly is more frugal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks to all who responded, much appreciated.

I guess why I chose the 320i as the car of choice was the fact that I have actually driven one and it's the only BMW I have driven.

I guess, to be fair to myself I need to take the oter options for a spin.

As an update I am mow looking at the 323i which is the 6-Cylinder version @140kW compared to 110kW for the 320.

At least I have the option of time on my side as it will take about 2 months for the cash to come through.

Thanks again. Fritzables.

Fritzables

The only 320i I ever drove was a rental and a six. Gloriously free revving. Good handling, which should be even better on more recent ones with ASC to stop the rear power sliding out in the wet.

So get the next model up (325i).

Would give you some figures, but BMW's web site is badly behaved and only wants to compare the 320d with the 320d!

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

G'Day Jeff,

Yep, the 6 sounds like all the G.O.

I will wait till the cheque is in the hand then make the tough decision, but based on everyone's recommendations it looks like the

325 wins.

Pete

Fritzables