ML350 - RX350 swap: Good news?

Dear ng,

Got to be honest, I don't know much about Lexus product range so sorry if this is common-knowledge to you guys.

I'm UK based and would really appreciate any comments you have... I'm considering getting rid of my ML350 and getting an RX350. The ML was great in the show room and on a short test drive but I'm become progressively more dissatisfied with it over the last year of owning it;

- Luggage space large BUT all the sides/floor are not square meaning that nothing fits well therefore effective boot space poor

- Many stupid quality problems meaning trips to the dealer (who are actually quite good, but that's not the point)

- Ride is poor. Bad barrel roll and auto-change gearbox is clunky

- Sat nav rubbish by today's standards

- Rear seat folding arrangement is primitive and prone to easy damage

I live on a farm and need real 4*4 once in a while, not for going up a mountain, just getting out of a wet field/lane. Wife + 2 kids need quite a lot of space when we go on trips. I do a lot of m.way driving. Feedback on dealers and servicing seems similar for Lexus and MB...

I've also considered;

- Honda CR-V. Too small

- Honda Pilot. Not available in the UK, but I have seen several about; not sure where they fit in

- BMW X5. Seems nice but off-road performance suspect/non-existent.

- Porsche what-you-m-call-it. Expensive, suspect performance, tricky to maintain

- New model ML. Too worried about MB quality to buy another + too many problems remain...

- VW Sharan thing with 4Motion. Local dealer suspect but otherwise OK.

So I was wondering;

- Anyone had experience of this swap?

- Any feedback on the quality of service set-up (I would be buying from that dealer in Stoke near the hospital).

- Given my intended use, do you think I'd be more happy?

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

Reply to
David Wynne

We have an All Wheel Drive RX here in the US.

My only concern would be the off road part of your needs. The RX really isn't designed for this. I also have a true 4wd Chevy Surburban. . It too has an full time AWD system, but when I've been stuck in the mud with it, I've had to go switch to the real 4wd mode (all 4 wheels turning equally, such that it's hard to turn the steering wheel). It also has more ground clearance, to keep above the mud.

Reply to
Steve Jacobs

Nissan 4x4 generally highly praised. Much as I like Lexus, not terribly impressed with RX, which I have driven. If ML space was'nt adequate you checked the RX? I did'nt find it that large.

Reply to
old man

When I was looking at new SUV's, the dealer let me take the RX and the ML500 home to use for 48 hours each. I did not like the ML500 at all and the RX's center console hurt my right knee area where it rested against the dash center console area. Very uncomfortable after 20 minutes. Boy, if I only got the usual 10 minute test ride in the RX like most people get, that would have been a costly mistake. I tried out the GX and purchased it right away. The ML500 and the RX can't even be compared to the GX. Now granted the GX cost a little bit more than the RX and the ML500 actually cost more than the GX, but for the money, the GX is a way better value for a luxury utility vehicle. Plus I like the body on frame setup and the rear drive bias that the GX has.

Reply to
Robert

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who posted. The upshot was that the contenders are; Nissan Pathfinder Lexus GX; not in the UK yet from what I can see.

There was some really good feedback in there. I looked at the RX but the boot was too small and drivers position cramped.

Reply to
David Wynne