2007 M5 with a real manual transmission

Is BMW coming out with a true manual transmission in the 2007 M5? Some magazines say so, but dealers people say they have not heard that this going to happen. Has anyone heard if it is really happening and if so when will they be available?

Thank you for any help.

Reply to
LSW

I'd say it's unlikely due to the massive peak torque. BMW buy in their gearboxes, and it may be that a suitable one isn't available.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even their literature says its coming. 6sp. Torque isn't a problem, it's not that high. I have a feeling a lot of clutches will discover their lives are short.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

For the E39 M5, the UUC lightweight flywheel with the 850CSi clutch kit. Its interesting that BMW couldn't figure this out. Then again, it was probably more likely that the bean counters said "too expensive" and the engineers had to use the small clutch.

Reply to
bfd

The last I read, the six speed manual gearbox option for the '07 M5 will be available, but not until October. There are also some rumors that the DSC, which may be disabled with the 7 speed SMG, will not be able to be disabled with the 6 speed.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch