325 2002 electrical tip needed

The black rear signalling unit (that contains four light bulbs)in the car's body (as opposed to the trunk lid) has a black pastic rectangular plug from the electrical harness that plugs into it. Because of some electrical/heat damage the unit sustained I now need to replace the plug with a new one which I have purchased from the dealer. My problem is with getting those six small metal connecting leads out of the old plug to insert into the new plug. Does anyone know of a trick to do this? thanks, David

Reply to
David Newton

Not specific to this connector, but flat terminals usually have one spring tag which allows the terminal to be inserted easily but then locks it. Round ones two or more. In both cases you need to force the tag back using whatever implement will fit - you slide it down the side of the terminal from the front of the plug. With round ones you need a tube. Can be difficult to find something suitable with small terminals. In some cases it's easier to cut off the connector and crimp on new terminals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is a tool that slides over the connector pin that will push a small locking tab into the pin, and release the pin from the socket.

In some cases, one can look into the end of the socket (from the mating direction) and see the locking tab. If there is sufficeient space between the connector pin and the connector block, you might be able to use a jeweler's scewdriver (the type that you might use to tighten the screws on your sunglasses) and push the locking tab out of the way. If you push the locking tab too far, then you can use a small knife to gently pull the tab back to its proper position before you insert the connector pin into the new block.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

David calls it a tag, I called it a tab. The idea is the same ...

Avoid cutting the wires if you can.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland