330 Touring

My brother - who lives at the other end of the country to me in the UK - is looking at a '00 330 Touring which is for sale privately at well below the trade price for a one private owner low mileage car. It has a slight dent in the roof and some damage to the rear bumper - but otherwise seems fine to look at both inside and out. But no MOT or tax. The owner has bought a new 3 Series. It has a service history - a mixture of main dealer and independant.

He was allowed to take it for a test drive - without realising it didn't have an MOT - and commented that it didn't seem very lively. It's a manual. His current BMW is an E28 520 - so I'd have thought it would seem very lively indeed compared to that. Does this sound like a VANOS issue? He said it was smooth and quiet otherwise.

He's keen on buying it provided the owner gets a new MOT - and the price allows him some extra for repairs. But it occurs to me the owner would have traded it in for the new car - or be asking a higher price for selling it privately - unless he knew it had expensive issues.

His wife has definite views on the colours she wants - under no circumstances silver - which sort of restricts the choice. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sounds a bit roger dodge for such a new high value car that the owner can't be bothered to MoT it. I'd have it checked out myself instead of getting the owner to put an MoT on it as the selling price would be way lower without one. Also on a high value car any dents and scatches detract from the value quite a lot, as does non-dealer service history.

Compared to a 520 it should go like s off a shovel. A friend had problems with a 330 and they (BMW) allegedly had to put all new valves in it.

If the price is right then it might be worth the gamble but he has to factor in the hassle if there are any problems, in addition to the actaul cost of fixing anything.

Reply to
adder1969