6 Speed Lube

I have an 03 with a 6 speed. Like others, I've had problems with the gears grinding when shifting, particularly into 2nd and 3rd gears. I tried Red Line gear oil and it was worse, so I went back to regular gear lube. Over several months, it got to be so annoying that I finally took it to the dealer, expecting to need a new transmission. Their mechanic, who related that he owns 2 Miatas (autocrossing one) said that they had many complaints like mine since the 6 speed came out and that, in his experience, the 6 speed would never shift as smoothly as the 5 speed. His disapproval, though unspoken, was obvious. After a test drive, he recommended draining the dino oil and putting in ATF! After being reassured about durability and the warranty, I said OK.

What a difference! It is like having a new transmission. Each gear "snicks" into place without having to pause in neutral to avoid gear clashing. 2nd gear is still a little "nothcier" than the others, but I'm back to having fun with my car. I'm still hesitant about durability and am keeping the invoice, but overall, I am pleased.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this? Is this the equivalent of using Red Line MTL (vs gear lube)?

Randy

Reply to
Randy Maheux

I also have an 03 6spd Miata, and have never experianced the hard shifting you've described.I changed out the factory fill at 500mi. to AMSOIL Series

2000 75W-90 gear lube and the resistance to rowing through the gears lessened. But I've never had any grinding sounds or missed shifts. Something is wrong, either with your tranny , or your clutch tecnique. I would not feel to good about using auto transmission fluid in there if Mazda does not specify it. Some manual transmissions do though. I once had a Ford Mustang that did.
Reply to
CDP