Valet 551R Remote Start Problem

I had a Valet 551R Remote Start installed in my 1987 Ford Thunderbird last year in late 2002. It works OK in warm weather but does not crank the engine enough in cold temps to start the engine. It only cranks for a fraction of a second and does not start the car. Multiple attempts sometimes gets it to start.

I took the car to the shop last year and they said they adjusted the unit to crank for the longest period of time it could (it was installed using the tach wire) and if I continued to have the problem, they said it was probably because of a "tired" 15+ year old starter and to replace the starter if it got worse.

I just had the starter and external solenoid replaced and that did not cure the problem. (Grrr... $200 for nothing!) It only cranks for a fraction of a second and then stops in cold weather. (For me to get it to work, I need to go inside the car and start it with the key, then press the buttons to activate the valet feature and then I can remove the key to allow it to warm up)

When it's warmed up or if it's above 40 degrees, it works fine.

According to the installation manual, there are ways to adjust the duration of the cranking, but that may depend on the method of monitoring the engine for "start" - by "tach wire" or by "voltage monitoring". From what I read, the crank duration can only be adjusted if the 551R is using voltage monitoring as it's method to see if the car starts. Is this true?

The manual is a little confusing as to how to change the programing to get the engine to crank longer. The programming button is used in conjunction with the remote unit, I guess, but the directions are a bit vague on the procedure how to change the cranking duration.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Worse case scenario I can take it back to the Parkway Stereo in Hicksville NY where it was installed, but I'd like to do it myself if possible.

Zebra

My guess is the unit isn't installed properly or is defective. It may not be sensing a proper tach signal when it's cranking or something..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
Zebra

Reply to
Zebra

Having spent quite a few years under the hood of a car, and only a few installing remote start systems, my suggestion would be to take it to a knowledgeable installer. This install-job by a general mechanic is, to me, like a general surgeon attempting brain surgery---in other words, it is highly specialized. Even slight variations among different brands can cause significant problems to one inexperienced in a particular brand. HTH & good luck...............sdlomi BTW: If your car were perfectly tuned and operating "as new", you probably would not experience this problem. '87 was mighty early in the mutation of the electronic ignition systems that operate so trouble-free on the later years. '87 was not nearly so accurate in turning the key, the engine making a couple of revolutions, firing up, and continuing to run without any mechanical, human help from the accelerator pedal. Much advance has occurred in their operation since then.

Reply to
sdlomi

Thanks for your input...

Well, this unit was installed by a "professional" shop - all they do is car stereos and alarm/remote start systems. Of course, as the technicians are "de jour", it's hard to be sure you have someone who really knows their stuff, I suppose.

I too have spent my time under the hood with various engine rebuilds and the like so I am no stranger to the idiosyncrasies of auto electronics, although I prefer the pre-70's cars for their simplicity. (don't we all? Smile!)

The T-bird is in excellent tune and this remote starter works fine in warm weather - it's just the cold weather than throws it for a loop. I shall be taking it to the shop soon so they can get it right. They cannot blame it's inability to start the car in cold weather on a worn starter any more and unfortunately I cannot attempt to program it myself as they disconnected the programming switch. (sigh)

Reply to
Zebra

I had the same problem. I finally disable tech sense and set it to a constant crank time to solve this problem. DEI was of no help to me. This cured the problem though. Good luck.

Reply to
Joe

That was intentional no doubt, to generate $ thru a return trip. This time make them give you the switch, if it's supposed to be with the unit.

Reply to
Bob M.

No doubt. I hate it when shops think they know best with things like this. I paid for the whole unit and the switch should have been left plugged into the blue outlet on the brain unit.

Good news: For the past two mornings, one around 28 and the other around 35 degrees here on Long Island, NY, the T-bird has started just fine, first press of the remote start buttons.

I am not sure if this is a fluke, but I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Maybe the unit had to "stabilize" (yeah, right) or some other superstitious nonsense?

Reply to
Zebra

make sure the tach sense wire is connected.

many > I had a Valet 551R Remote Start installed in my 1987 Ford Thunderbird

Reply to
usenetid

Reply to
usenetid

Reply to
usenetid

Thanks for your posts - the car gods have smiled and the unit has been working fine since my 12/8 post. Starts first time, every time! :-)

Happy Holidays!

Reply to
Zebra

replying to Zebra, Psycko wrote: i have he 551r setp in my 01 dodge ram , works great until i lost range on the remote , new batterys and wires are good , any ideas ? i have to stand next to the truck to do any modes , start , doors , so on . any help , thanks

Reply to
Psycko