840.. how expensive are these to keep running

I seem to be getting attracted to the 840, well more to the 850 but I'm sure the 850 is a *real* money pit.

How much care and maintenance would an 840 need? If I bought a 'decent' one with, say, about 100k or so on the clock is it something that could be kept on the road within a reasonable annual budget? Or, is it a real enthusiast's car needing frequent tinkering and costing £1500 plus per year just to keep it up to scratch without even thinking about using it?

Reply to
deadmail

The idea is to only look at cars with a full service history. That's the real trick to buying a good used BMW. I run an E38 730i V8 which is similar in complexity to your 840i. It's pretty reliable.

Reply to
John Burns

I had a 750iL which uses the same engine as the 850 and found it reliable and reasonable to maintain, with regular oil & filter changes etc easy enough. Plug changes were a bit of a pain but OK

Reply to
Steve Parry