How to change antifreeze back to orange Dexcool type?

Got a '96 C-1500 with a 350 in it. I've been told that the '96s came from the factory with the orange Dexcool antifreeze I bought it used last year, and somewhere along the way the antifreeze was switched from the orange type to the old green type. I know that you cannot mix the two, but it seems like I read somewhere that once you switch from orange to green that the system is "contaminated" and that you must always use the green stuff from then on. Seems like there ought to be a way to flush the system and clean out the green well enough to go back to the orange.

Is it true that there is no going back once green is in?

If not, anybody know of a website that recommends a cleaner that will get the green out, so that it can be replaced with orange?

TIA,

Yogi

Reply to
Yogi

"Yogi" wrote

No, that's not true. What is true is that if you flush out the green a/f and re-install dexcool, it will not be able to provide the extended life that it was intended to provide. In other words, you might just as well stick with green as change to dex. Or you can change to dex, but you need to change it every 2 years/40k klms like the green. Which is probably not a bad idea anyway.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

You might want to read these web pages before you go and do that.

Those are just some of the pages do a search on goggle and find more. I my self was told by a GM service tech that he switched his back to green and I did also. Peter

Reply to
Peter

WOW!!!

These "Horror Stories" are quite a surprise!

In addition to the pick-up, we also have a '98 S-10 Blazer with the 4.3 Vortec. The reason that I was interested in putting the Dexcool in the pick-up was because of the surprisingly good results I've had on the Blazer. We flushed the system and replaced with a 60/40 Dexcool at 110,000 miles. Up to that point, all I've done is keep the level up in the overflow tank.

The fill neck on the radiator is on the passenger side, and with the cap off you can look down at the outlet end of all the tubes in the radiator. After so many miles (some would say double what it should have been) I was expecting the worst. Instead, I found the cleanest radiator I've ever seen! (No, I do not work for Texaco or GM) Maybe we were just lucky, but I was sure impressed when I looked down at those shiny clean tubes.

It does seem to need more "topping off" than what I am used to in the past with green antifreeze. I've always tried to keep plenty in the tank. It gets pretty hot here in Houston during the summer. I know that I've added more than a gallon of the pure stuff in the 110,000 miles. Maybe that is the key - keep the tank full and keep air out of the coolant in the engine.

Thanks a lot for the helpful info!

Yogi

Reply to
Yogi

store. Follow the directions on the can for amount/time left in. I like to run a garden hose through a heater hose, that way it will get the core, engine and radiator. I think the problem with Dexcool is people ignore the cooling system for 100K miles because it says its good for 100K. The problem most likely is if it isnt kept topped off/full it will rust(just like the green). Or if it has a small leak it will run hot then really get nasty. I run Dexcool in my Sonoma, it has 110K on it and I dont have any problems. I changed it at 60K when I bought it, and at about 90K because the water pump went out. It stays clean and cool. Just flush it real good and put watever you want in it. I dont think there is any reason to freak out and blame the falling sky on that "damn orange antifreeze" :)

Reply to
Scott M

[...]

BillyJim