91 325i real wheel bearing do i need it?

There was a strange clanking sound at the rear end of my car almost 7-8 months back and when I went to a shop that works on beamers they told me it was the rear wheel bearings and quoted me $600 so obviously i didn't do it, instead my wife took the care to a local automotive shop who found that it was a loose part making the sound when it was banging against the body. Now when I went today to the same bmw shop who had quoted me 600 they ask me to change the rear wheel bearing as the tires may come out while driving and it can be dangerous.

so my question is I got 147K miles on the car and do not want to spend the 600 bucks so will the tires really come out? is the shop just milking money out of me? as I don't have that clanking sound now. I read some posts about the humming sound if bearings are bad is it very distinctive? I don't feel a difference when driving but how do I make out if the shop is really telling the truth?

Thanks for any help and advise

Reply to
RK

One option, take it to another shop to get a second opinion. You may want to find an independent that works on BMW. Check out

for a shop nearest you....

Reply to
bfd

if there is no noise then the wheel bearing is most likely fine.

don't go back to that shop.. they sound deceptive and will take you for a ride

Reply to
furious gibbon

OK, so you went back to the same shop that (you already proved) was trying to screw you out of $600 dollars once before and now you're asking if anyone thinks they are trying to screw you out of $600 again?

Why would anyone think that?

By the way, why would you take your car to a motorcycle shop?

Reply to
Fred W

I had to go back coz my power windows got stuck and weren't working and there is no other shop I know or a mechanic I know who could fix that and knows BMW's that well, so its exploitation on their end coz they have no competition. I'm in Charlotte, NC so if ya all know any guy who is working independent PLEASE let me know.

thanks for all the advise RK

Reply to
RK

dude, the link did not work you got any other links for finding local mech's or shops who don't rob ya? I'm in Charlotte, NC

Reply to
RK