a/c problems

i've got a 97 318i. the air blows cold but the velocity from the vents is very weak. is there a filter or some obstruction that can cause this...it's damn hot in south louisiana...

thanks...

Reply to
hat23

Damn cold in Bavaria in the winter...

Most likely you need to recharge your A/C reservoir

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

He said the velocity was weak so the temp is probably OK. Time for a new microfilter.

Reply to
JimV

yes i agree with you mark, replacing the microfilter is first to do...if filter is restricted, it can also affect the blower final stage unit to prematurely fail intermittently

Reply to
infoguy

yes i agree with you JimV...replacing the microfilter is first to do...also if filter is restricted it can cause the blower final stage unit to fail intermittently...

Reply to
infoguy

How often should the microfilter be replaced? Is it something you can do yourself?

My air velocity is quite weak in comparison to when I bought the car.

Can any mechanic replace it?

-- Jason @HOME

8MP Australia
Reply to
djtep

hey djtep... first off what year and model BMW do u have?

Reply to
infoguy

How often is a matter for discussion, can you do it yourself? Yes.

On my E36 (USA version) the filter comes out into the passenger side footwell. Remove 8 screws holding the govle box in, take a connector block out of the way, and the filter slides out from the center console area into the footwell. You guys that drive on the wrong side of the road have to find the filter on your own.

Reply to
J Strickland

if its never been replaced you should now replace the filter.

try this site :

news

Hi infoguy.

My car is:

BMW 318i 1993 E36

djtep

Reply to
djtep

I also have a filter that should be changed on my E36 (3128ti-'98) but I am just wondering. I have no allergies so is this filter important? I could remove the old filter and not replace it. Then I would have good flow and less maintenance. My garage service manager says some of the newer cars come with a filter housing but no filter installed at the factory. That is left up to the owner.

Maybe the filter isn't needed if it doesn't protect the A/C sytem?

Thanks,

Fritz Wagner

Columbus, Ohio

Reply to
Fritz Wagner

I had the same thought. If you are not allergic to pollen, and don't regularly drive in a dusty environment, do you really need a filter at all?

--

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

The filter is just a paper filter, very similar to what is used in the intake. It will block dirt particles and what not, so you could leave one out but at under 30 bucks, I think it is better to put a new one in and breath cleaner air, although it is all up to you.

Reply to
andrey.ivannikov

Sorry, didn't see your post, makes mine sort of out of place.

Reply to
andrey.ivannikov