Advice please?

Any input from the regulars in here would be greatly appreciated.

Recently had the Service 2 completed on '00 M5. The car has 54,400 miles on it.

The codes indicated that I had a misfire on number 1, and oxygen sensors were bad.

The symptom you got behind the wheel? Sluggish and stuttering on acceleration from a complete stop. In the morning, it was especially bad and was very jerky in 1st and 2nd gear.

The good news? Only cost me $50 dollars on my deductable through the warranty.

The bad news? The car has basically no torgue anymore, especially in

3rd gear...which in heavy traffic was always the favorite.

The car runs like crap compared to what it was over most of the past twelve months. I purchased the car in August 04 and since have put

23,000 miles on it.

I thought they tuned the car up for the Service 2, but apparently not.

The dealership that did the recent work didn't look at the car until almost 5PM and called me at 6:15PM saying it was ready.

I know rush hour traffic and the time of the day may have presented a problem for them to test drive it properly but damn....any novice mechanic should have sensed something wasn't right.

The car has no muscle any more at this stage and was wondering if anyone out there knows what may be the problem. I feel like I'm driving my ordinary 528i off the line.

Being in the service business myself it grates on me to no end when I find myself the consumer and always having to complain about poor service or incompetence.

David H.

Reply to
David Hageman

Bad performance out of that car means something's wrong with it. If something's wrong with it, you need to make them fix it. If someone dummy'd down my M5 I'd be furious. As a matter of fact, I'm a little pissed just hearing about it..

~billy

David Hageman wrote:

Reply to
billy

That is pretty early for an O2 sensor to go bad. They usually go about

100k miles.

was that before or after the service (or both)

There is no such thing as a "tune-up". You should have gotten an itemized list of the items they checked and/or replaced as a part of the Inspection 2.

Bring the car back and give them a chance to make it right (on their dime). They either didn't fix the original problem or have caused a new one.

Best bet is to *not* continue to drive the car as-is or you may cause damage to something. If the O2 sensor(s) they replaced were faulty it's ebntirely possible that you are running rich and dumping fuel in the cat. Given enough time this can cause an exhaust fire and send your entire M5 up in flames.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Well, that's what the codes indicated, and they did replace 2 of them. Also replaced a coil for the mis-firing of cylinder #1...if I remember from the invoice not in front of me.

It's basically the same except all the torque is gone from 3rd gear, which in an M5 is a sacrilege.

Hell, they did the Service 2 while I waited and it didn't take them that long...same thing on my M3. I think these scheduled maintenances are rip-offs, but I don't want to violate the warranty.

Thanks for all the advice, Fred. I have a call into the dealership right now.

David H.

Reply to
David Hageman