Alpine CHA-S634 changer install in E46?

My 2000 328Ci has the business CD HU and I would like to add a CD changer functionality. Am a bit of a newb to the BMW family but am told the unit should be prewired for a changer. I have done some reading and apparently I will need brackets and a converter to make this happen. Can anyone link me to the particular converter I need and/or install and connection details ?

Also, will the OEM business CD HU be capable of playing MP3's from the CHA-S634?

Thanks in advance for any advice and direction!

Mike in DFW

Reply to
mike

Mine is a 2004 E46, and when I received mine with the Bluetooth and TV, it was pre-wired for the 6 CDchanger. You have to take out the tray that is fitted as standard and then force the Alpine unit in and do a bit of metal bending since the unit does not seem to be an easy direct replacement. You need a conversion cable, but I assume you have that.

And yes, you can play mp3 in it, but there is a limitation, the display on the dash only goes up to 99 then 00 then 01 etc, so when you are on track 121 on one CD, you don't know if it is 21 or 121. Also, you cant go back below track 100 ;)

Good luck

-- John Perry

John Perry

Thanks for the info John. Looks like Soundgate makes the adapter for the 3 series and the Alpine MP3 changer requires a conversion an AI to Mbus cable.

the Soundgate adapter I found here

and theres a pretty good how-to here:
Mike

Reply to