How difficult to install CD changer?

I will be buying a CD changer for our '04 mini. The dealer said it would take about 1-1/2 hours of labor to install but then he has given us a load on other issues (cost of tinting). Since everything is pre-wired it seems it is a simple "bracket and connect" unless there is some programming that has to be done.

Also I have seen a few O.E.M. work-a-likes offered but an Alpine seems to be the most frequently sighted. Any opions on preferred make and model?

Thanks.

Reply to
Grinder

I had an Alpine CHA-S634 (Alpine Cable KCA-130B and Ventura VT-BMWALP-01 interface ((allows the Alpine to correctly interface with the MINI precableing))) installed about 8 months ago and have been happy with the results. The installation was pretty simple. I paid someone to install it because I hate to spend a day and have to go to the hardware store three or four times to get parts I need. I watched and the installation was painless for the installer.

Random thoughts

1) There are at least two other people that make interface boxes and I would look for the cheapest box. 2) The mounting thingy is right above the muffler. I don't know but it seems to get warm to me. If I were to reinstall I think I would put some kind of insulator between the floor and the Alpine CD Changer ( I would mount a board on the floor and the CD on the board. I am sure this can be done so that it looks professional). 3) Every once in a while (once every six weeks or so) the Radio head does not recognize the CD changer. I have found that turning the car off and restarting will always fix the problem. 4) The steering wheel buttons work with the Alpine CD changer. 5) MP3s work perfectly but MP2's are ignored. (I started putting music on my computer a long time ago) 6) The radio head does not display the song title on MP3s 7) I have not found an easy way to play song number 98 on a MP3 CD except hit next song 97 times or last song a bunch of times until I get to back down to song 98. Luckily I do not know the songs by number. 8) I have the Cassette Head on my car and it will only display the song number as two digits (only matters on MP3's), so if you look at the dial and it says 20 you are not sure if it is 20 or 120 (not a big deal) 9) In random play (again on MP3's) mode you can play the next song but not the previous song. However if you play them sequentially you can play both next and previous song. 10) you can intermix MP3 CDs and Music CDs and the changer plays them properly. 11) Once you get used to MP3s then music CD's seem very limited

Good Luck! The ability to play MP3's is the best option I have ever had on a car and MINI really should offer it.

Final Thought. An hour and a half labor time that you were quoted seems like a long time to me. I would think that MINI would be better served to price their options as installed. I wanted the driving lights on my MINI but when the dealer added $550 for installation I felt like the dealer was trying to take advantage of me. However if he would have said it was $1000 then I would have just thought he was overpriced. The difference is now I do not trust the dealer to treat me fairly (I know that sounds silly but perception becomes reality).

Puffer

Reply to
Puffer Bradley

If you have pre-wired car it is just a plug and go for the BMW Changer

If you do fancy your own fitment a lot of panels have to come off to feed the cable through the car.

The company who sell the interfaces for multi function steering wheels and mp3 players using a loop connection amongst others is

Having watched someone remove the dash top, full side trim with both rear seats, drivers seat and boot slam panel just to feed cable as per MINI pec - I was glad it wasn't me - it was a 02 car with no cables.. K

Reply to
arielmad

I think there is an Alpine out there that does not need an interface. I will be putting it in a '04 so all the cabling is already in place. I agree the dealers like to overcharge. We were intially going to have the dealer tint the windows but I found out where they send them to be done and saved over 30% off the top.

Reply to
Grinder

I will be installing it in a '04 so all the cables are in place. I believe the BMW changer is an Alpine changer with their logo on it. I just have to figure out which Alpine model BMW is using.

Reply to
Grinder

If I do get chance to see one I'll have a look and see if there are some part number Alpine and phillips are the ones I have seen.. K

Reply to
arielmad