belt routing 1999 528i M52TU ?

Hi all, I'm in quick need of belt routing diagram. Can anyone help please? Thanks

Reply to
kjb

I did a Google search when I needed one.

You can do it by following a si8mple rule though, any pulley that is smooth will contact the outside surface of the belt, any pulley that is ribbed contacts the inside. When you come off of the crank, your inclination is to go straight up to the waterpump, and this is where you get screwed up.

Come off of the crank on the passenger side (USA models), but wrap around the top of the crank and go over to the spring loaded idler pulley, then wrap around that pulley and go back to the water pump. The rest of the belt can only fit one way if you observe the rules about ribbed and smooth pullies.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff, Thank you sir!!!

Reply to
kjb

You're welcome.

I helped my neighbor replace the belt on his car a few weeks ago, and we had trouble with routing around the spring-loaded idler. We had the belt looking like it should work, but it was too long by about 2 inches.

We found the routing diagram via a Google search, and found we were going around the idler in the wrong direction. Once we got that part right, the rest was easy.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You asked me a question outside of the group. This is poor form. You shoule stay inside of the group so everybody can benefit from yoru question and my answer.

You asked about changing the belt without removing the fan or shroud.

I replaced the belt on the same motor, but in a 3 Series car, and I was able to get the job done by only removing the engie cover from the bottom of the engine bay. The fan and shroud was not disturbed. You are working in a 5 Series, so your mileage may vary.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

yaofengchen