Likely/possible causes of a misfire on one cylinder?

I'm trying to fix a sickly 2002 Mercedes A160 (petrol) for a friend. It is misfiring badly and the check engine light is on. After some faffing around I eventually managed to get the OBD-II information out and it says "P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected". Hmmmm, I thought it might be able to offer a bit more info than that.

I changed the plugs, reset the ECU, but still the same.

My question is, can anyone suggest what the likely cause could be, or possible other things to look for?

My first thought is the ignition module. But it operates on pairs of cylinders - could be that but then I would have thought that it would fail on two cylinders?

Next I guess it could be a valve/compression - but getting a compression tester in there looks like it will be very difficult to say the least - the plugs are really awkward to get at.

While the car was under warranty (at least 10K miles ago), due to some kind of gearbox/ECU fault the engine over-revved and bent one or more valves which were replaced by the dealer. I'm hoping that this problem doesn't relate to that.

Any other thoughts/advice gratefully accepted.

TIA

Reply to
Simon Wilson

Faulty HT Lead?

Recently had a few VW's with single cylinder misfires & all down to the

90degree angle on the leads
Reply to
A C

On this car it doesn't really have HT leads. There's an ignition module containing the coils etc. that bolts directly on top of the plugs. Just four rubber things with springs inside that I'm not sure if I can detach.

Just had a thought though, tomorrow I will see if I can detach them, then swap them over and see if the misfire moves to a different cylinder.

Thanks

Reply to
Simon Wilson

I would do a compression test first, solely because you mention the engine has over-revved in the past.

If thats ok, then replace the ignition cassette- they are a well known fail item.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I bet it does. Possibly reckon they tried to get away without replacing the head or a piston.

Reply to
Conor

Reply to
Simon Wilson

I really do hope not. The dealer had the car for weeks (about six IIRC). I think they should've replaced the engine at the time, but we didn't push them hard enough. The (auto) gearbox on this car has

-never- been right. Even now it sometimes won't change, and pulling away it sometimes takes way too long to engage, so the driver's left at the lights etc. like a numpty.

Reply to
Simon Wilson

Compression checks out ok (well, on #1 and #4 cylinders, I didn't check 'em all 'cos it's a pain)

Eurocarparts stock the module for 53 quid or so, vs. Mercedes 74 quid. I also tried breakerlink.co.uk. I got a call from a breaker this morning trying to sell me a used one for 90 quid! When I told him about Eurocarparts price he said "those guys are pirates". Erm, pot, kettle, black?

Reply to
Simon Wilson

Did you check the modules yet? If it's not that then it could be injectors or the wiring or a broken rocker arm.

Avoid those breaker places they always come back with really silly prices.

Reply to
adder1969

My car has this arrangement and failed in the way you describe. Replacing th appropriate coil (£32) cured the problem. If you can get the coil off it may be possible to compare the input and output resistances with one of the other coils to confirm failure.

My car was a humble Fiat;-(

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Ive COP isnt bright IMO, ive yet to see a COP setup that didnt suffer fairly regular coil failures, and fairly expensive too. Idea is nice, in practice they seem to struggle to deal with automotive environments.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Fixed!

First I checked the compression before ordering and fitting a replacement ignition module.

price was about 53 pounds plus VAT, they said Mercedes price was about 74 pounds (I didn't check directly with them). I also tried some breakers via
Only one breaker called me back and wanted over

90 pounds for a second hand module! When I told him the Eurocarparts price he said that they "were pirates, selling pirate parts" Pot, kettle, black I thought?

The Eurocarparts part was Bosch - so exactly the same as the Merc one.

Thanks all for the pointers.

Reply to
Simon Wilson

Oops apologies for the repetitive info - XanaNews munged up somewhere and wasn't retrieving posts....

Reply to
Simon Wilson

I cant recommend ECP highly enough - when they didnt have a "non-branded" part that i needed they gave me a =A330 more expensive genuine part without me even asking for it - it was a driveshaft that was only 40 in the first place!

Reply to
Coyoteboy