BMW Auto box gear select problem (offset drive gear???) Wierd

Sigh. And said every auto I've had since the '60s doesn't allow direct selection of drive from neutral simply by moving the lever. Whether by having a brake interlock on as later cars or by requiring a button etc to be pressed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Jeff Strickland" wrote

Sigh. You guys just can't get along, can you.

This is actually a safety feature - in case the throttle gets stuck, for instance.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I'm good with that. I would not have thunk it, but I have no reason to not accept it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

So have I and I find that 99% of US built cars to be totally retro engineered with the exception of foreign owned companies or with design bases in other parts of the world.

Until the US makers found that UK cars actually went round corners and stopped they never entertained the notion of disc brakes even after being proved to be far superior on aircraft.

Drum brakes came as standard on the 440 and 426 Dodge/Chryslers until they used the Mitsubishi Colt based rubbish in the mid 70s.

Aluminium brake cylinders and other parts were not fitted until late 70s on many US cars.

The OP was talking about sideways movement hampering engagement of D or whatever.

I see you are now mentioning the "INTERLOCK" to stop shifting into P from D or from N to P inadvertently.

With this I agree it can be a PITA but I modified my shifter on a few motors to have a forward shift from 2 > 3 > D lock N lock P so I could shift manually without blowing the engine by accidentally shifting to N.

Rubbish - My 2000 Sebring convertible and 2000 Camaro did not have this "foot on the brake to shift into D"

Agree - except for the new ZF/BMW 6 speed autos - all electronic and impossible to get N without the engine running and the parking brake off. There must be a way but it's not in the hand book so when it needs a tow they'll have to use a rear end lift.

Reply to
Oscar

One could turn off the ignition but not engage the steering lock

Reply to
Oscar

In 1969, I think. It was a 2 or 3 year old Morris Oxford, and the return spring on the accelerator pedal broke and the pedal fell to the floor, uncontrollably unleashing all of the awesome power of the car.

I jury rigged a return spring from some rubber bands looped around the pedal and hooked onto somewhere under the dash which got me home fine and worked for a few days until I got around to fixing it.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Only once - and on an E-type Jag. The throttle linkage has a bell crank which went over centre. It was (obviously) incorrectly adjusted and the owner had never used full throttle since new.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

See, those UK cars are far superior to that American automotive trash.

Reply to
Fred W

Hmmm... where were those Jaguars made again? Were those made in America or was it the UK?

Reply to
Fred W

Oi. I don't go around slagging off American cars. Even although most are as ugly as sin. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As I said Dan, 40+ years ago and boy Oh boy all that POWER going to the sophisticated RWD system. Single line drum brakes and lever-arm shocks.

I can remember racing one of these down the M1 - bow was he pissed when we passed him at 68MPH he was flat out using all the 42BHP that the single SU could muster - running on pump gas. Fantastic........... they rusted away at the same speed didn't they?

Reply to
Oscar

The way they were built probably in someone's back yard - thrown together and serviced - never - but often bodged by one's neighbour.

Reply to
Oscar

The US muscle cars were fantastic design and even now are in great demand but I see most are being retro fitted with decent suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes and rack&pinion steering.

I loved the Boss Mustang, Dodge Challenger & Charger - the Chrysler 'Cuda etc. and the new versions will be something .

Reply to
Oscar

A late '60s Oxford had a power output of 60 bhp and a top speed of over 80 mph. Which it would happily run at all day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Joke Dave! ;>))

Reply to