BMW diesels and vegetable oil...

I know this question is going to sound very odd to our cousins on the other side of the pond but over here in the good old UK, fuel has reached stupid prices (£0.90+ a litre), so I'm thinking about doing daft things to my car.

So I just wanted to see if anyone else out there had tried this.

My "victim" will be my 1996 E36 325TDS. Initially I'm planning on trying some new vegetable oil, but eventually if all goes well I'm thinking of using old oil from the local chippy. Obviously filtered to remove all the bits of chip!

From the reading I have done, there are two routes.

1) Put some additives in the oil to break it down, then run the car unmodified. 2) Leave the oil alone, but run a 2 tank system. Diesel to start and warm the engine, and flush out at the end of a drive, and a heat exchanger between the water system and vegetable oil to get the oil thin enough to run on.

I'm planning the heat exchanger route as it means I don't have to mess about leaving gallons of oil undergoing various chemical treatments for several days before it can go in the car. I'm not organised for all that, I'd like to be able to buy a bottle at Tescos and chuck it in the tank! (Obviously this wouldn't be the normal route as it's expensive, but it means the car is more flexible).

So what do you guys think? Any one with first had experience of veggi oil in an old injector pump style diesel like this?

Cheers

Dodgy

Reply to
Dodgy

My mate who has a MOndeo diesel just pours it straight in, has done for years and it passes mot's

Reply to
Jules

My understanding is, this is perfectly fine. You have to observe pretty obvious stuff, clean the chunks out first, etc., but beyond that, I've not heard of any downside or limitation.

Well, one limitation I have heard of is that Veggie Oil does not work well in a cold motor, you have to start and warm up on standard diesel. This means you have to carry two fuel tanks, and locate a valve someplace convenient that lets you switch between the tanks.

Good luck. You should be able to find plenty of resources on the 'net to get this project done up properly.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes, do google searchs for "SVO" and for "biodiesel". There are a whole bunch of sites in the USA. Lots of info on converting the SVO into biodiesel, and vendors flogging 2-tank systems as well as some DIY types telling/showing how they made their own 2-tank systems...

Ken, Canada

Reply to
Tmac-100

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 23:20:20 -0600, Tmac-100 waffled on about something:

Hi, thanks for all the feedback guys, I've read the cold start info, and I've decided to go with the twin tank system and warm up on real diesel then switch over. That way I can just filter the veggie oil and chuck it in, I don't need to mess about with additives to thin it down and make real bio-diesel.

Cross fingers...

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Take out the crusty bits first - especially if you have been frying onion bhajees in it.

Reply to
Jo Ling

You need to let it settle first before filtering - fat will float on the top and most solids sink to the bottom.

Remember too you need to register the conversion and pay tax on the fuel you use.

Hope you can find a source of cheap or free oil - this conversion is getting so popular it's not as easy as it once was.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)