Vegetable oil

Thinking about buying a very cheap diesel car so I can try running it on vegetable oil. Any recommendations. Something I can run on cooking oil from Asda or Tesco.

Why aren't we all running on veg oil. All we have to do is to grow it and it's renewable, unlike mineral oil. Probably the major oil companies may have some objections to this, and also our esteemed government, who extract so much in tax from fuel.

Let's do it and sod the Middle East. If it wasn't for their oil and the assistance of the west, they would all still be living in tents in the desert, which is exactly what they deserve.

BTW, whatever happened to our North Sea oil?

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Anything other than a modern common-rail direct injection engine should be fine.

It can't be used in modern engines, although that could no doubt be overcome by changing the design of some engine compnenets. It can be converted quite simply into diesel which is fine to use in any engine. The isn't the capacity in growing or processing to make an impact at present. IIRC, it is only feasible to provide around a fifth of the countries fuel needs by this method.

Most likely. If it wasn't for our coal and the invention of a few individuals, the industrial revolution would not have occured and we would still be living in mud huts and living under a feudal system.

We used it all.

Reply to
Rob

Yes, it is illegal if you haven't payed the duty on it.

Reply to
SteveH

You can pay tax on _used_ veg oil and it'll be cheaper.

Given that the cheapest currently on the shelves of your local C&C will probably work out at about 20p / litre before tax, then you're not likely to gain anything.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, well, the OP seems to have something against the 'rag-heads'/'Ay-rabs' [1].

[1] delete as appropriate as dictated by the red-tops this morning.
Reply to
SteveH

But is the law that you must pay duty on _diesel_ if it's used in a road vehicle, or that you must pay duty on _any_ fuel used in a road vehicle?

Reply to
John Stumbles

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) saying something like:

You can keep yourself in the clear if you contact your local C&E office and declare how much you've used and pay them the going rate (reduced in the case of vegoil). Simply a matter of filling out a form once a month or quarter. They're well used to it now, since so many are using vegoil or making biodiesel.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Aye, you can.

But unless you have a good, reliable source of used chip oil, and find it's cheaper to go to the hassle of straining it, adding the glycol (ISTR, or whatever) in the (roughly) correct proportions, it's not actually going to be worth doing.

It's a nice theory, but in reality, there's not enough used chip oil to go round.

Reply to
SteveH

is this not just as racist (if not worse) than the OP after all the OP made an observation, whereas Our Steve is actually insulting...

Lost

Reply to
Lostin1999

Of course it is.... but I was using it to highlight the current state of our tabloid influenced nation.

Isn't snipping context a wonderful thing?

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

Thats actually possible, a car running on old oil will produce the smell of whatever food has been cooked in it :) Chips, in the case of my old 405 ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond

Duty on any fuel. All fuel no matter what its use has a level of duty.

Reply to
Conor

Roadside VOSA checks.

Reply to
Conor

It works out:

9p per litre manufacturing cost 27.1p per litre duty
  • Cost of vegetable oil.

If you get used vegetable oil for free then it works out at 37p per litre. Quite a considerable saving.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Make sure it hasa Bosch injection pump!

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

So if you could run your car on water you'd have to pay duty on that because it would be classed as a fuel?

Presumably what is classed as a fuel isn't laid down in law but determined by case law? I.e. if someone ran their diseasel on a mixture of diesel fuel and (for example) perrier water[1] and claimed that the perrier was just to make the engine run quieter (substitute alternative BS here :-) it would be up to the courts to decide (possibly by reference to case law) rather than there being any specific provision in the law that perrier as such is a fuel and must be taxed.

[1] leaving aside the practicalities for a minute. I realise that the benzine content of perrier isn't likely to be enough to make a difference to combustion in reality :-)
Reply to
John Stumbles