Diesels running on Veggie Oil?

Had anyone tried running a Diesel Vehicle on Veggie Oil or other substances? I often hear tales of people doing this. How feasible is
it though and surely there must be big side effects? Why would people want to in the first place? Is it cheaper or something?
I can't imagine that Vegetable Oil is a similar substance to the Diesel you get on the forecourt of a Shell or BP fuel station? How can a Diesel engine run off stuff like this?
John
says...

The original diesel engine was designed to run on veg oil (specifically peanut oil).
You should really do a bit of work to the diesel before you just run the car on it (although people do have success on neat oil!)
You should also inform HMCE, and pay ~25p/litre duty.
If you've got a modern high pressure (TDCI and probably PD, HDI etc) engine, don't do it.
Apparently (from the TDCI point of view), running the car on >5% biodiesel can cause the high pressure pump to break up internally, and fill the system with splinters of metal.
Pete.
--
NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be deleted
Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Only once he'd given up with coal dust, IIRC.
--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

He also used lamp oil, petrol and a host of other flammable materials. The only reason he decided on what we now call diesel is that it wasn't in use at the time so was cheap.

At a time when it's a virtual certainty that biodiesel will become more and more the norm, manufacturers actually go out of their way to design new cars that will self-destruct using >5% biodiesel.... incredible!

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 06:54:34 +0100, A strange species called Pete

If you already bought the oil from a supermarket or something, you would already have paid 17.5% on it wouldn't you? Do you need to pay an extra 25%, or just the difference? Or have I got things mixed up? Is the duty thing different? Would the oil not already of had a duty paid on it when the Supermarket bought it from their suppliers?
Do you need to pay duty for used oil?

So its a no go for modern TDis, TDCis, PDs, HDis? You can only do it with old Sdi diesels?
John

Yes, if you are using it for running a road vehicle. If it goes in a motor vehicle, the government want their cut from it somewhere.

the govenment charges you 25p per litre you use. this is worked out per mile that you do. what vat you pay for it in the shops is extra for them as they do not give that back
this is interesting though http://www.wasteoil.co.uk/biodiesel.cfm

Just glancing at the pictures gives the impression it's made from honey.
--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.
contains these words:

pml i see what you mean lol

Yes. You're making road fuel so there's road fuel duty to be paid.
--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

However with veggie oil it's very hard to prove you haven't.
--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
Conor wrote:

whats the legal procedure of them trying to fuck you for that then?

I suppose if you pay for /some/ fuel there's no particular way of 'em knowing whether the fuel in your tank is the same lot you've paid duty on.
--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

That's exactly it. Short of putting some sort of monitoring device in your fuel lines, or a 24/7 camera to monitor the fuel filler hole in your car/van, there's really bugger all they can do to properly tell how much fuel you're using compared to the amount you've declared that you've used. So just use your brain and declare some. If the same people stop you a second time and notice that you've done loads of miles since the last stop, and work out that you've only declared a very small amount of duty on veg oil, then it's perfectly realistic to claim that you use normal diesel 66% of the time or something, to protect your engine, plus sometimes it's not convenient to make up the veg oil/thinners mixture, or you were just in a rush and filling up at the petrol station was far quicker and easier.
--
Peter

"You're not a real UKRCMer until you've had your big end bearings go."

your
stop,
i bet if it was looked into fully at the local dvla. they will insist on you handing in the reciepts from the filling stations every so often so that they can check and calcalate the milage and how much you owe them. and you can bet your a** that the milage per litre taht the say you have will be less in the long run than what you really do.

Ape?
--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

<SNIP>
you
That wouldn't work with me - my ~90mile round trip commute is usually done cross country gives me between 600-680 miles on a brimmed tank.
Doing the same journey using dual carriageway/motorway every day I'd be lucky to get more than 550 miles from the same quantity of fuel (ca. 60litres).
I defy the DVLA to come up with an accurate figure for the amount of fuel I use given such a variation.
/John
Guy King wrote:

Or, they have no way of knowing if you bought it from someone who paid the duty.
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:36:00 +0100, A strange species called David

I wouldn't have a problem paying he duty on Bio or SVO. It is still going to work out about what? 25% cheaper than regular diesel?
I probably would hardly ever use it unless fuel prices increased drastically. At the moment, at least for Bio Diesel, it has got to be time consuming to get it all mixed and produced. Time is money, and that extra 25% or so you may save over the cost of regular diesel may not be worth it unless you made loads, or unless the cost or regular diesel increased quite a lot.
Will be interesting to try this though.
John