BMW E60 Run flat tyers

My 12 month old E60 has run flat wheels and tyres and I was wondering what others thought about them ? My previous E39 was very smooth and bumps in the road were hardly felt but I must say that is not the case with run flats.I wonder if you can simply change wheels to ordinary alloys or does the car need modifying ? Great car but just this niggle which with the amount of speed bumps and holes in the roads is a daily gripe.If it helps anyone I would personally advise against them.

Reply to
Bluemax

You don't need to change the wheels. Run flats don't use special wheels (at least on any other car -- perhaps BMW is odd). I switched my previous car that had runflats to regular tires without problem.

Reply to
Tom Scales

They do use different wheels - but non runflat tires can be mounted on them. Many of us Z4 drivers have changed from the OEM runflats (using the same wheels) for a better ride. There are essentially two considerations: make certain that the tire dealer is equipped to handle the special runflat rims, and it's a good idea to carry a 12v air compressor and tire plug kit in your trunk unless your 5er is equipped with a spare tire. The Z4 and E90 series don't carry a spare.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.