BMW iPod adapter

I have installed the iPOD adapter in my 2003 325i but it does not play.

The symptoms are as follows:

The iPOD displays a BMW Logo and "OK to Disconnect"

The BMW radio indicates track numbers on all 5 playlists and can switch tracks and playlists.

With headphones, the iPOD can be heard playing and switching tracks in response to commands from the BMW controls.

No sound comes out of the BMW radio.

In summary, everything seems to work except there is no audio from the iPOD to the radio.

My iPOD is a Nano, model MA477LL, version 1.3.3

The radio is the BMW Business radio. No other alterations have been made to the audio system.

I've checked the connections to ensure the wiring is per instructions. I've also exchanged the adapter and all cables for a new kit. The result is unchanged

Any clues as to what I should look for?

Also, a tip for anyone who wants to install the BMW adapter: Get the pin removal tool. Removing the three wires from the radio connector is just about impossible without it.

Try turning your Ipod volume all the way up.

Reply to
Thomas Wright

Shouldn't be required, the audio is through the bus connector, not the earphone output (that's what's controlled by the volume control).

I've installed the BMW aux connector (plugs into the back of the radio, E39 version) and also a DICE (generally nicer than the BMW piece). Judging from your complaint about the lack of audio, I suspect that somehow the audio out in the adapter isn't making it to the radio (it plugs into the back of the business CD?). Check that the connections you made to install the adapter are sound ... might be you've got a pin connector that's not quite right.

Worst case, you can go with the DICE, which is more flexible and, like the BMW unit, replaces the CD changer. You can get versions that plug into the CD trunk wiring or that plug into the back of the radio.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier