BMW Keeps Stalling

Hi All, Do you know why my 323i SE 1999, keeps stalling. It's very wired what happens, in the morning when the car is cold, the car seems to idle ok, but as it warms up, it will now and again stall or just cut out as im about to stop the car with my foot on the cluch. I did have the idling valve changed but this was not the problem. Do any of you experts have any idea of what the problem might be. Many thanks in advance Andrew

Reply to
my_beemer

Yup - the crank position sensor on my E39 did this when it got hot. But threw up the appropriate code.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Definetely sounds like the Crankshaft/Cam position Sensor cos I had the same problem which left me thinking the engine was about to die permanently. Very worrying though and the worst part is, it is a very very very very very common problem on some beemers. I think in the USA it was actually a recall item due to it's relation to emission standards or something, so it was replaced free. In the UK I don't know if it is a recall item or not, if it is a recall item.. I'll go kick seven seas out of my stealer..oops dealer.cos the dealer charges alot for the job, if u can get a good independent then consider it.,

Reply to
ChrisJ

Chris,

I have 97 Z3; was experiencing the same issues. Was instructed by my father, a retired auto mechanic to put 2 or 3 drops of 3-in-1 oil on the key.

I was skeptical to say the least. After doing so, my car stalling issue has not occured anymore.

I am astonished, but it worked!

Best,

jb

Reply to
Jeffrey Black

No proper mechanic uses 3-in-1 oil for anything. Even a squeaky garden gate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But I do use 3-in-1 or its generic equivalent on the oilstone that I use to sharpen my plane blades and wood chisels.

:-)

Reply to
Dean Dark

[sucks teeth] Water. ;-)
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nah. It takes too long to get the stone wet each time.

I also grind plane blades close enough to 25° by eye, and I do a really mean 120 grit job on kitchen knives. Carbon steel ones, of course. There are no stainless steel knives in *my* kitchen.

Hell, it was only a few years ago that I finally accepted the synchromesh gearbox.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Not on an oilstone. A whetstone perhaps...

Reply to
Fred W

Dave you are a thorn in alot of peoples side.

Reply to
BK

Well, you don't oil a key. The oil gets into the tumblers and in combination with dirt causes them to stick. The correct lubricant for a key is graphite. If you haven't got the powdered type use a pencil.

But 3 in 1 oil isn't the correct *oil* for anything. Perhaps the easiest source of a good light machine oil is sewing machine oil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, perhaps he is, but in this instance Dave is correct. You do not want any oil in the tumblers of a lock. It will only make matters worse in the long run. You can use a cleaner spray to get the oil out and then a dry lubricant such as graphite powder or such.

But in any case, lubricating the lock will have absolutely nothing to do with the OPs problem...

Reply to
Fred W