Stalling Mazda B2200

Hi,

I ran out of gas in my '87 B2200 (when I tried to accelerate engine quit). After refuelling the engine does not shut off when accelerating but turns off when idling.

I set the idle a bit higher and that helped but sometimes the engine shuts off when idling. Before running out of gas the engine ran fine, idle was very stable, now it fluctuates. Any idea what could be wrong? Could the pump in the gas tank have sucked in some crap? Maybe it's being blocked?

BTW Is a 1987 B2200 carburetted or fuel injected? I'm no car expert but if there is a large air filter in a gas engine than that means it's carburetted, right?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!!

cp

Reply to
cp

when idling.

With the breather off, its easy to see if it a carb or FI. I believe they did not start using FI until latter. WHere did you set the idle? If it was a carburated unit, you had to be looking at the carb.

You probably have a high mile engine. There are many things that can cause this. Start with the fuel filter. New plug wires, dist cap, rotor and plugs are probably due to. Check all vacuum lines for being on and not cracked. You might have to clean out your EGR valve and passage. And the carburetor, you don't even want to know how much a rebuilt costs. You can kit it if your very handy. If you do any intense work on it, you should have a shop manual. I drove mine 160K before it sold it box sides flapping in the wind.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

My '90 B2200 still had a carburetor, so its a pretty good bet you do too on an '87. In those models if it had fuel injection, they added a little "i" after the number on the side (B2200i).

If it suddenly runs crappy after running out of gas, you are on the right track in thinking that it probably sucked crap from the bottom of the tank. I would say the first place to look is the fuel filter (replace it), then if it still won't go, drain & drop the tank and take a look at/clean the fuel strainer. Usually stuff floats off of it, but you might have enough crud built up in there since '87 that it just sucks it right back onto the strainer.

If the strainer is clogged, then you need to also clean out the tank before you put it back.

I would be absolutely certa> Hi,

Reply to
E. Meyer

Thanks for the reply!

Than it's carburated

125,000 miles, my mercedes has over 300,000 miles and drives like new, THAT's high miles :-)

I hope the problem is not this complicated! I will try this, thanks! cp

Reply to
cp

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
cp

I should have asked:

Where is the fuel filter? Is there any online manuals for this car?

I've also noticed that the fuel gauge doesn't work well, sometimes not at all. Could a fouled up strainer or crap in the tank cause a problem like this?

If there was trouble with the carburetor wouldn't the engine work unevenly throughout the RPM range and not just at idle? Above idle it works fine, though it seems that there is a bit less power

Thanks, cp

Reply to
cp

The fuel tanks on these are notorious for leaking right above the welded seem on the rear of the tank. I epoxied mine up a few times before i sold it.

What happens a lot on these is the valve seals go bad. Then the engine smokes a lot when you start it cold. Not so much in warm weather. I would pull the plugs and check condition.

As i recall, there is a fuel filter on the passenger side around the carb area. follow the fuel feed from the carb and look for it.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

I don't know if it's leaking but the fuel gauge is not stable, it slowly goes up and down and so on. Any clue as to what could cause that? You think I should have the tank cleaned?

No smoke at all! Good power too, I've been hauling heavy (relatively) stuff all week, and don't notice any difference. Maybe the load is not that heavy. :-)

OK THANKS!

cp

Reply to
cp

Thanks again for the help, I hope I can avoid the mechanic with this.

cp

Reply to
cp