BMW why do they?

... or have the motor blow.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

No, that's what the rev limiter is for.

Reply to
adder1969

"I would guess that pushed round corners with similar haste one would soon come a cropper"

Actually, Top Gear or Fifth Gear, I forget which, tested the X5 against various "real off-roaders" off and on road. On the road the X5 handled almost exactly like the 5 series saloon throughout various high speed emergency manouvres and chicanes. Very Impressive!

Reply to
zerouali

U¿ytkownik "Ross Garrett" wrote

All Audis are speed-limited as well, at least in the US. 130 mph for the A models, 155 mph for the S and RS models, IIRC.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

problematic

I suspect the rev limiter kicks in at 128 mph. Just a guess ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

What else would you expect from a road vehicle?

Reply to
SteveG

Uhm,

well i am talking about an 2001 x5 - E53 if you like.

Mine is originally delivered to germany without the speed limitation ... the car is an 4.4i with sports package and staggered setup....

I can tell you that this x5 (or any 4.6is / 4.8is etc) is a very streamlined garden shed...

It has very nice handling cornering and acts much like the 5/7 sedan / coupe counterparts (not counting M type cars)....

But still nobody tells me how fast it can go.. the limiter was at 128mph i think - but then again i dont have it and i dont understand non-metric measurements...

Rgds,

Henrik Ohm

Reply to
Henrik Ohm Eriksen

Ok, so an X5 isn't technically an off-roader, but perhaps a better question would be: "What else would you expect from a BMW off-roader that is really intended to be an on-roader?"

Reply to
Neil

Yep, that would have been a better question.

Reply to
SteveG

Fecking hell.

R. Mark Clayton seemed to think that an X5 "pushed round corners with similar haste one would soon come a cropper".

I was giving an example of how this is not so. It's nothing to do with what I expect from the X5.

Reply to
zerouali

Don't fret zerouali, Steve G was just trying to make the point that the X5 isn't technically an off-roader, and it really shouldn't be a huge surprise that it handled like a 5er. Personally I think its testament to BMW that they can produce a part-time off-roader with the extra ride height, higher centre of gravity, and bulky aerodynamics, and it still handles well.

Reply to
Neil

Being in a pedantic mood. What does "er" stand for? I've seen this also in wine (for example 1er cru). Presume it does translate to 'series' or 'edition'.

David

Reply to
David Haggas

Five-er, Three-er....or 5er, 3er. In the context of wine, you're talking premi-"er" mean first or number 1.

Reply to
Neil
1er means "premiER" => first 2 ème means "deuxiEME" => second 2 nd "second" => second 3 ème "troisiEME => third ... didn't hear about "5 er" or it doesn't have a French origin

"David Haggas" a écrit dans le message news: d9hg31$99s$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

Reply to
Zorro

Thank you Neil, couldn't have put it better myself :-)

Reply to
SteveG

The problem here is you're not comparing like with like. The X5 (despite any BMW marketing hype to the contrary) is an out and out road vehicle - and a VERY good one to boot - whereas the Rangie (or any Land Rover except the Freelander) is a truly off-road vehicle with good road manners.

In the case of the current Rangie, it's a match for any of the current "off-roaders" on tarmac when driven by someone who knows how to drive it. Being both a BMW and Discovery owner I know that I can pretty well match the 7 series time over a given route in the Disco; but that it has to be driven differently. My times at Castle Combe in both vehicles were within a second of each other - you should have seen the look on the face of the Imprezza driver when I went underneath him on the last corner ... in the Discovery!

Reply to
SteveG

IIRC the speed limit in Italy is already 130 km/h.

It is only Germany that has sections of road without speed limit, and even here there is a recommended speed limit of 130 km/h.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

And:

Fünf-er, Drei-er...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Im in agreement with most of this thread except for the comment about the Freelander.. Im not sure where it comes from but the little hippos are a pretty competent vehicle offroad if you know how to use them. They have their limitations, the awd being the main issue, but I have yet to get stuck in the hippo where the Rangie and the Disco have left me winching my way out more than once....

Corey T. Shuman

Corey Shuman