Car over-revving in the mornings - help!

I have a BMW 523 automatic, which I bought from new in 2000. It has a low mileage (42,000) and a full BMW service history.

Following the 40,000 mile oil service, the car has been running like a dog in the mornings.

For the first 10 minutes of driving, it refuses to go above 25 mph (pressing the accelerator simply results in additional revs). During this period the manual facility for changing gear is inoperable. However, at a certain point, the car rights itself, and performance is "as normal".

When I took the car back to the dealer, it (after a day's investigation) replaced the airflow meter. No difference.

I returned the car and was informed (after another day's investigation) that the gearbox needed to be replaced.

Credit to the dealer, it contacted BMW, who in the interest of goodwill (the car is out of warranty) offered a free replacement. All I had to do was pay the difference between the "airflow service" and the cost of fitting the new gearbox.

The car was off the road for a week. The gearbox was replaced. It made no difference.

The dealer suggested that I bring the car back. Whoa.

I am not particularly inclined to fund further research (I'm =A31000 down already, including the oil service).

Does anyone have any opinion (half-baked is as good as the dealer's) as to what might be wrong?

Thanks, all John

Reply to
john.mullin

wrote

So you basically covered the cost of tranny replacement, and they refunded you the cost of the airflow sensor in the name of goodwill?

Pete

Reply to
Pete

If I read it right, BMW effectively refunded the cost of the airflow replacement, and exchanged the gearbox only charging for labour. I doubt a gearbox is cheap so I reckon that was fairly good goodwill! An awful lot of manufacturers wouldn't give you anything!

Reply to
zerouali

can't help with your problem, but you basically got a free transmission! even though the old one wasn't broken, it was 40000 miles closer to breaking than the new one

Reply to
papa guiseppi

Thanks Pete

That is way too erudite for me. :-)

I simply want a working car. Should I have bought a Lexus?

Regards John

Reply to
john.mullin

Zerouali

My thoughts exactly.

The problem is: the car is Donald Ducked.

Regards John

Reply to
john.mullin

wrote

For reliability - possibly so. For the fun to drive factor - well... :)

As an Audi owner, dealer horror stories are very familiar to me. But on the other hand, my A4 has proven to be more reliable than a Honda Accord which I owned before - both vehicles bought new.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Following the 40,000 mile oil service, the car has been running like a dog in the mornings.

For the first 10 minutes of driving, it refuses to go above 25 mph (pressing the accelerator simply results in additional revs). During this period the manual facility for changing gear is inoperable.

Sounds like the gear box is in "limp home" mode, however you should get warnings like "transmission program" etc. Alternatively have you got it into "snow mode"? I neighbour of mine manged to accidentally put her Renault into this and was amazed when I took it out.

However, at a certain point, the car rights itself, and performance is "as normal".

WHich sounds electronic rather than the ATF has run out etc..

When I took the car back to the dealer, it (after a day's investigation) replaced the airflow meter. No difference.

Interesting choice.

I returned the car and was informed (after another day's investigation) that the gearbox needed to be replaced.

This might be true, but as the fault appeared during service, it would seem they introduced it. Sounds unlikely that the box itself has failed, but some electronics (engine or gearbox) might have or even have been left disconnected.

Credit to the dealer, it contacted BMW, who in the interest of goodwill (the car is out of warranty) offered a free replacement. All I had to do was pay the difference between the "airflow service" and the cost of fitting the new gearbox.

The car was off the road for a week. The gearbox was replaced. It made no difference.

The dealer suggested that I bring the car back. Whoa.

Time I think for a solicitors letter, also contact BMW.

I am not particularly inclined to fund further research (I'm £1000 down already, including the oil service).

Does anyone have any opinion (half-baked is as good as the dealer's) as to what might be wrong?

See above - eliminate all the possible silly reasons, and you should be left with the cause.

Thanks, all John

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Thanks Mark.