Child seats for 8-series

Are there any available?

If so, please could you let me know the manufacturer's name and model (if known).

Thanks!

Griff

Reply to
Griff

Child seats for a specific car?

I have never heard of that. When I was buying child seats for my kids, we went to the store and picked a seat out and strapped it in with the car's seat belts. If it stayed put, we kept it, if it moved around, we took it back until we found one that stayed put. We had a few different car while we had kids in car seats, and as a general rule if the seat fit in one car, it fit in all of them. We also had a need to use the neighbors' seats in our car, and our seats in the neighbors' car, and we found that not all seats were as good as the others.

My favorite seat was the FisherPrice model with a large breast plate and a single latching point. It was the easiest to buckle and unbuckle, and it was a breeze to clean. One thing I (we) found was that it was not convenient to swap the seats around from car to car all of the time, so we got two seats, one for my car and one for her's.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I've also a 530D; when we bought a car seat for that car, the reseller actually wouldn't sell us a model unless they verified that it fitted "perfectly". We actually tried several models until we found one that fitted - they did a great job in that the seat we bought fits so secure that I literally have to tug it with all my might to get it to move.

I ask specifically about the 8-series because it's got "bucket" seats at the back and our car seats won't fit properly; they literally bridge the bucket seat. That particular reseller doesn't have any seats to fit and isn't aware of any (they're more used to the MPV-type of vehicle).

Griff

Reply to
Griff

Jeff states:

Well, if money is no object, BMW sells child seats specific to your car. Go to the online parts catalog (ETK) and look under Section 82, Universal Accessories. Specifcally, look at section 82, 31, Child Seats, BMW makes one for your car in sizes Baby, Junior I/II and Junior III. For online catalog, go here:

bfd

More than a child seat intended for a car, I imagine he's trying to find one that somebody has made work. The deep rear bucket seats of an E31 would be an immense challenge for a car seat. I gave up on owning an E24 for the same reason.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

I get it. I wasn't thinking clearly earlier. Your seats are an odd shape and you are asking if anybody has found a child seat that fits the odd shape seats in the car. Sorry for my smart-ass reply earlier. I understand the problem now, and I have no pearls of wisdom to help you.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I wasn't thinking of the deep buckets. They would present a significant obsticle. I would be inclined to shim the buckets up with a blanket or similar item to create a quasiflat surface to set the child seat on.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's what they have in the back - small children only mind...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Is that a good idea? Wouldn't it reduce the grip and stability of the child seat?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I don't know. Maybe it would, and then it would be a bad idea. But, maybe one could fill in the low spot so the child safety seat set flat on the car's seat, and the seat belt would then hold the child safety seat safely. In this case, it would be a good idea. This is one of those times when one has to outsmart the engineers to come up with a solution that is both safe and effective.

The problem is, we can only to the most rudamentry of tests to check for stability of the child safety seat that is placed on an uneven surface which has been modified to create an even surface. The real test comes when a dump truck runs the red light and slams into the test bed ... But, even if the car and the safety seat fit well together, we don't really know if the safety seat will protect its cargo until the dump truck runs the red light, do we?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's not a bad idea, not to mention the protection of the E31's rear leather from the bottom of the seat and all of the detritus the youngster is likely to drop.

Maybe he could get some stiff foam and cut/shape it to fit the depressed seat area, then cover the top part with something stiffer (plywood or hard plastic) for the carseat to sit upon.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

True, the rear seats in the 6's and 8's do look like good seats for children once they are old enough to be able to sit in a regular seat. But most responsible parents will put their infants and young toddlers in an approved safety child seat. I can see how fitting one of those in these cars could be an adventure.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

The car seat should be restrained primarily by the regular seat belt.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

That's probably a suitable last resort, but not much fun if the seat is occasionally used for other things.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

No matter what shape the factory gives the seats, unless they have a harness that comes down both sides of the neck and a pad in front of them for them to cusion them in a frontal impact, they aren't suitable child seats.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

significant

When I was hauling child seats across the landscape, I found that there were few useful things that justified taking the seat out. I hated messing around with the car seat so much, I went to the Used Baby Supply and bought another seat just so I wouldn't have to take it out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You used a used baby seat?

Maaan...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Dear all

I just heard back from my local BMW garage's Parts department...

They sell a "BMW Junior seat" costing a =A3179.06 inc VAT which they claim will definitely fit into the back seats of the E31. They don't do a "baby seat", but that's not what I'm after.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Griff

Reply to
Griff

Baby is a bit of a misnomer when talking about the Used Baby Store. They sell second hand stuff intended for kids. The idea being that very small kids grow out of stuff faster than they wear it out, and a child safety seat can be found for a fraction of the original cost. Not really a "baby seat" at all. However, they have child safety seats that will fit a baby, but I understood that you were looking to strap in a kid that is not considered a baby anymore.

I just heard back from my local BMW garage's Parts department...

They sell a "BMW Junior seat" costing a £179.06 inc VAT which they claim will definitely fit into the back seats of the E31. They don't do a "baby seat", but that's not what I'm after.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Griff

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

BMW Junior seat comes in several colors and can be found here:

bfd