Child seats for 8-series

Doesn't matter. You don't know where it's been. Never buy a second-hand child seat.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Why? What are you afraid of? Do you think some prior child user had the ebola fever or something? I suppose you never let your children sit in used seats in public either, right? You never know what scurvey bum sat in that seat before... How ludicous.

Children are just young humans. They are amazingly resilient and can take all sorts of microbial abuse.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Let me clarify for you. I am talking about accidents. Or drops.

Damage to seat, in other words.

You cannot have confidence in the integrity of a seat unless you know its history, and you only know that if you buy it new.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

second-hand

If it has been in an accident, the belts should be replaced as they have been stretched. The seat also may not conform to current laws and standards. In Canada, if you sell a 1 year old car seat "as is" at a yard sale for a buck, and the standards changed last year such that it's no longer legal, you can be held liable for injuries to the child.

Child safety equipment is a special category of merchandise.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

If that is true it is just absurd. There is no way that the weight of an infant is going to "stress" the nylon web straps and belts to the fatigue point. I can see legally requiring the use of approved safety seats (protecting innocent children from stupid parents), but constantly changing specifications or requiring replacement after an accident is completely over the top.

Do they also make you replace your adult seatbelts after you get in an accident? I'm thinking a 250 pound adult might stress those seatbelts just a tad more than a 10 pound baby...

Also, I'm pretty sure that you are wrong about the liability issue. There is no way that anyone could be held liable for selling a non-conforming car-seat in a private sale. As a private individual I do not have to represent anything about the suitability of that car-seat for use. This definitely falls into the realm of caveat emptor. If not, then I thank God I don't live in Canada.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I don't know whether you are just theorising or what, but your view that it is "absurd" is absurd.

The factor of changing regs is, in fact, another factor that I did not mention in my other reply to you.

A child seat can be subjected to all kinds of stresses and strains, e.g. being dropped, as I said, which may compromise its integrity but not be visible.

All the advice given -- and not just by seat makers -- is that one should never trust a second-hand seat. I would not take one even if it were given to me by a trusted relative who assured me that the seat had never been damaged. My child is too precious to muck about whether to save a few bucks.

If there is an accident and the seat fails to work as it should, I would always worry that it was not a manufacturing fault but because of subsequent damage.

To discuss the potential liability of a private vendor sounds like an American lawyer's priority :-)

I did not contend that one should necessarily replace a seat after an accident. I said one only knows where it has been if one has bought it new. You then went off at a tangent about diseases.

What I am interested in is my child's safety.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I suspect she is telling us that the seat may have been in a prior wreck and doesn't work properly anymore.

second-hand

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Lucky for you, apparently in your country you can sell defective baby seats and hazardous materials at yard sales, and if they buy 'em and die, well, that's just their tough luck.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

Yes, that was the deal, and I did not pick up on it in the original post.

But I'm pretty sure that Dori is a he. Then again, I could be wrong about that too. Seems I'm wrong about everything here these days...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

That's correct. I wouldn't have it any other way.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I thought Dori was a she. If I am mistaken, I hope there is no offense taken.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Ok, I'll put you guys out of your 'misery'... :-)

No offence taken, as I am used to it, but Dori is a he.

Just curious, why do you think it's a she? What clue other than the name?

Sometimes I used to feel like the boy named Sue but, 'unfortunately', I never developed the ability to fight...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

It's precisely due to your message content that I assumed that you were a man. I think people would bmake that assumption perhaps since Dori is an unusual name (in the US at least) and people might think it was short for something else, like Doris?

-Fred W (yep, I'm a guy too...) ;-)

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I seem to have a memory of a conversation with you a long time ago where I picked up that you were a she. At my age though, confusion comes easy and often.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yep, but you're not a top-posting like Doris is.

I've used this particular group as an experiment, and a few weeks ago I killfiled all habitual top-posters regardless of who they are and what they say. Let me tell you, I'm pleased with the result. I should have done it years ago, and I will be applying my new policy to other groups.

Selective killfiling of individuals based on the individual asshole factor is a personal thing - and a very good thing. Given that what one wants to read is a *personal* preference then I'd highly recommend that others consider actually doing this across the board.

And, in the spirit of what I'm saying, feel free to killfile me, too.

Reply to
Dean Dark