Considering a used BMW 530i V6

SNIP

And God created the unisyn/

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

And you a sound engineer. You just match the hiss. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I believe at least Hispano-Suiza made one. There were a bunch of early aircraft inline twelves too, including the Fiat A.30RA and the Daimler DB603.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Not in fact because it didn't go when I sent it for some strange reason - I sent this when there were no other answers or replies as a tongue in cheek jokey response however when I shut down yesterday it told me that there was 1 item to post so I told it to send it and here it is a day late as you said but unintended.

Hugh

Reply to
hsg

The Hispano-Suiza J-12 model was powered by a V-12 and unlike the ones you mention, Hispano's aircraft 12 cylinder motors were also in a V configuration.

Maybe you were thinking of the current Wartsila-Sulzer?

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Other advantages are cost and simplicity of layout. You can have those 6 nicely-balanced cylinders with only one cam drive, one set of camshafts, etc. Inlines are nice for the layout simplicity of all the intake on one side, all exhaust on the other side. The I6 is a great compromise because of it's inherent balance, and going any longer gets to be "too long" for mechanical-strength and packaging considerations (although longer inlines do exist in some huge-motor applications like mining equipment and ships). For these reasons, the I6 is extremely popular in earth-moving and farming equipment, and in "semi" truck engines.

The I6 would be a lot more popular in cars were not for it's length, which makes it impractical to turn sideways for FWD applications.

Reply to
dizzy

Although there have been at least 3 modern motorcycle applications of the transverse I-6 - the Benelli 750cc, Honda 1050 and Kawasaki 1300.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Ironically, fitting a long motor transversely may be easier with motorcycles than with cars. With motorcycles, there is no "hard limit" to how wide the motor can be. With cars, there's the shocks and wheel-wells there. Additionally, motorcycles are designed with the clutch and transmission completely behind the motor. With cars, the clutch and transmission are inline with the crankshaft, which is most efficient.

Reply to
dizzy

Have BMW ever experimented with a boxer alignment in a vehicle, other than a motorcycle, like Alfa Romeo?

I drove a white '92 Alfa 33 QV for several years while working in Holland and enjoyed the car quite a lot. I had none of the infamous Alfa probems over a span of about 3.5 years.

Reply to
Jed

Well, there's flat engines and there's boxers but most flat engines actually aren't boxers.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Good points all. I even like the exhaust note of the I6, although when teamed with a second bank on the same crank (aka V-12), it really sings. V-8's don't really come into their own unless spun to about 19,000 RPM ;-)

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

Although BL did with the ill fated Princess line in the late 70s - early 80s

Total crap but nice ideas.

Reply to
hsg

By which time there have thrown a couple of rods and dumped the oil on the floor

- unless it's a BMW etc F1 engine.

Reply to
hsg

SNIP

My point exactly. They were touching 20,000 RPM prior to the engine design limits imposed.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

Volvo used the same idea. May still do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unless one is in one of the areas where lane splitting is legal!

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

There are some exceptions, yes. Suzuki recently put in I6 in the Verona, for example, and Volvo has too, as Dave mentioned.

Reply to
dizzy

I have a 2000 528i that I purchased for the new technology ... it is the beta version ... the first one off the assembly line.

Great car, great gas mileage ... 8 years old and 178K on it ... small repair list on the internet BMW history.

Today ... I am having Computer Gremlin problems ...

First idea is a wire loom problem, like maybe a mechanic somehow got in there with a screwdriver and screwed it up.

Second idea is the ignition turn key is wearing out to give me a fault pattern that is mysterious in how it breaks the fuel pump, security system, stereo system ... and then fixes them the same way.

Repeated ignition turns makes them re-boot the car computer, and the right tail light show fault on the dashboard, no problem. Next ignition turn the dash light is fine, but the rear light turn signal is out (flashes twice as fast) ... fix the bulb by moving the contacts. There is no more problems.

Still waiting for permanent failure to fix what is broken ... as electrical faults that come and go are not fix able usually.

Other then that ... great car ... good technology for the highway.

Getting a ZAP car and going electric for in town.

sumbuddie wear blind sea

:)

in article 1mSbk.97567$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net, IceMan at snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net wrote on 7/5/08 3:13 PM:

Reply to
Alan B. Mac Farlane

So change the lamp socket.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

There's no such thing as a BMW 530i V6.

It's an inline six, and it's a wonderful car.

Your particular specimen has been clocking miles at the rate or 22,250 per year. This is a bit on the high side by all measures.

I'd consider a different specimen.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland