Knocking Dakota 3.9L V6

I have a 1988 Dodge Dakota with 3.9L V6. Over the years I have noticed that when the outside temperature is high (above mid

80's) the engine knocks a lot under a load.

When it was new I noticed it went away with higher octane gas. So I made sure I used mid grade in the summers. But these days (55K miles) that no longer helps. And the knock is getting pretty loud.

I replace the plugs every two years (20K miles). But I am wondering if, at this milage, there are other things I should be doing to stop the knocking. Maybe clean the injectors, clean the throttle body or reset the timing.

I would appreciate any insite you might have on this.

Thanks

Derek Toeppen derek snipped-for-privacy@agilent.com

Reply to
Derek Toeppen

Yes to all three would be my guess.

I have an 87, original owner, 100,000 miles, and I just finished an exhaustive carburetor rebuild, thoroughly checked and serviced as needed all vacuum hoses, reset the timing, changed the O2 sensor, cleaned the EGR valve, replaced the PVC valve and a few other things that escape me at the moment. This was all done in response to a drivability problem, stalling at every stop. My smog test was coming due also.

The damn thing runs like new. They need us.

Reply to
Jack

I KNOW THE SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM EMAIL ME PLEASE FOR INFO

Reply to
s61948f