e28 high / low beam question

When high beam is used, both the middle headlights come on, which are single filament high beam only. However, with the two outer lights, they don't change but stay on low beam, even though they have twin filaments.

Anyone else have have the same occurring on their car?

TIA

Reply to
David Tyrrell

I didn't think the low beams were twin filament. What you describe is normal operation.

Reply to
John Burns

Surprisingly, you're both somewhat correct. The E28 low/high beam outer light *does* use a two-filament bulb in all markets. (Burns is wrong)

In North America, the OEM is a 5 3/4" sealed beam and popular conversions are Hella and Cibie 5 3/4" H4 two-filament lamps. In the NA market *only*, both filaments are used as God intended: low beam for low illumination and high beam for high illumination. Along with the high beam filament, the inside single filament H1 lamps are illuminated.

In other markets, the E28 has a 7" low/high outer light (highly coveted by E28 enthusiasts in the US, I might add) but for some inexplicable reason, the high beam filament in the H4 bulb is never used! In fact, it isn't even *connected* in those cars! Therefore, what the OP is seeing *is* normal for that car. (Burns is right)

Now, while the 'Euro Purists' here in North America all want to wire their lamps to do exactly what their Euro/UK brethren see (You oughta' see what they'll pay for those smaller Euro market *bumpers*!), I personally say, SCREW THAT! I yanked off the stupid connectors and plugged those H4s and H1s right onto my OEM wiring harness! That leaves me with the minor problem of finding a voltage source for the

15W 'city lights', but compared to being able to *see for two miles* (as well as melting the paint off the rear end of any moron who crosses me at night), that's a 'kewl' thing I can live without.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

On my old Rover P6, which originally had Lucas sealed beam lights which really gave the name to the 'Prince of Darkness' - ie 37 watts of tungsten on dip, although not too bad on main, I changed to four identical CIBE units with H4s? and arranged for all four dip filaments on dip, then simply added the mains on top. So some 440 watts on main beam. And a larger alternator which would happily maintain 13.8 volts regardless.

65/03 cable off the main battery feed to relays situated as close to the headlamps as possible.

And a non tint windscreen. Best lights I ever had. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)