E30 Fuel Pump question

My 1990 325i would not start after a trip to the local hardware store today. I had the car towed home. The car starts and then shuts off almost immediately. So.....I think it is the fuel pump because I do not hear any noise from the gas tank when turning the key to the on position. Is there a simple way to check if it is the fuel pump ? Is there something else that I should be checking? Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
Peter J Alicea

"Peter J Alicea" wrote

Fuel pump relay. Crankshaft position sensor?

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

The pump doesn't run continuously when the ignition is switched on - it might flood the engine if an injector was leaking and otherwise would run down the battery unecessarily. Not sure about your model, but some run for a few seconds to pressurise the system - others just when you operate the starter and of course when the engine fires.

Fuel pump and the main PI relays are always the first suspects, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Psycho