E30 LSD 325is

Does a 1990 325is auto have a LSD or open? non convertable. It is a 4.10 but not sure if LSD or not.

Somebody once posted a list of all years of E30 and the gearing and if LSD or not. Anybody still have that?

Reply to
tado

Try snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com, they'll know.

Pretty sure your 325 isn't a 4.10 too, but I'm not an expert. But most iS's had LSD I believe.

Anyway ask in that group, that's where the experts hang out among other places.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

Either version can have them, or not. They were standard in some "is" cars, but not all years. Many non- "is" cars had them too. The way to tell is to look for an "S" on the diff case. To get under there you probably have to jack up the car anyway, in which case you can just turn one of the rear wheels. If the other one turns the same way instead of opposite, you have a LSD.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

Put the car in neutral, jack up one wheel. If you can turn it you do not have LSD.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Does the same vs opposite test doesn't work for viscous LSD's? Not than a iS would have one unless it had been swapped in of course. For example to get a 4.10 ratio from an iXA.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

Same question, out of interest, would that work if the LSD was viscous instead of plates?

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

The 89 and 90 automatic 325is came with a 4.10 LSD. The 87 and 88

325is automatic had the 3.73 as did all the 5-speeds.

Randy

89 325is
Randy W

If it was viscous (I don't know if BMW made a viscous unit), then you would be able to rotate the wheel a few turns or so until the fluid heated and locked up.

Reply to
Rob Munach