E39 tailgate corrosion

I live in the UK and have a 1998 E39 523iSE Touring auto. I've recently noticed corrosion on the lower inside edge of the tailgate and again above the number plate. The car is going in to a dealer for an assessment but I'm surprised to find this on a car that is less than a year out of the body corrosion warranty. There has been no accident damage. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of it?

Reply to
Narin Ganesh

Common problem. A lot of Tourings had their tailgate replaced during warranty in Norway. Wet winter conditions and salty roads is a killer for this kind of tailgate design(flaw). It sucks road dust better than a turbo Hoover de Luxe special edition GTi etc...

Also keep in mind that where I am from we drive with spikes in the tires during winter time. That produces vast amounts of road dust. Not ideal conditions for a E39 Touring :-(

Volvo learnt their lesson years ago.

-- Johan

Reply to
Johan Karl Larsen

Yes... I got the tailgate and front replaced on my 2002 e39 on warranty this spring. It was imported from southern Germany last fall (i.e. no snow/salt) to Sweden where I live.

** Lars
Reply to
Lars Knudsen