E30 Throttle Problem, update

Ok, I changed the filter, after the dealer gave me the wrong one I found one that fit and the problem persists. So after doing a little research I understand that some cars have two pumps and some have one. If I have two, where is the second? With which do I start? Thanks

Reply to
M Warren

theres one pump *inside* the tank, one outside, close to the tank, under the car, close to the left hand door. (on a coupe/cabrio anyway)

you might think of getting a workshop manual for this car... makes fault-finding and maintenance much more fun.

keith

Reply to
keith

Yeah, I know I need a manual... can't find one locally... anyway, there is no pump under my car on the left side, just a fuel filter.

Reply to
M Warren

AFAIK there are two fuel filters on the E30. One under the car, and one in the engine compartment. There is only one pump, AFAIK, and it resides in the tank.

The main fuel filter is located beneath the left rear of the car, just in front of the gas tank. The other filter is in the engine compartment, on the left side of the car, just behind and below the front shock tower.

Reply to
BBO

my mistake: there is only one pump, as you correctly said: and indeed the large filter is under the car, near the pump.

keith

Reply to
keith

I only find the one filter behind the drivers door. I do not see another one and I believe that I have traced the fuel lines all the way from the tank to the fuel rail. It is a '91, so is this something that was changed later on in the E30 life span? Thanks

Reply to
M Warren

Yes it was changed in the later E30s. Your '91 has one in-tank fuel pump with a filter screen at the bottom and one external fuel filter. That's it. No second pump; no other filters.

Reply to
Bob Smitter

And if you do find that it is the filter that is clogged, the filter screen at the bottom of the pump in the fuel tank is most likely damaged. Over time the plastic in the screen ages and becomes brittle. This along with chafing creates splits and holes in it.

The pump might also give out in the near future if it was clogged with muck from the bottom of the tank...

Reply to
BBO

Yeah, Changed the filter and that made no difference, and when I pulled the pump the screen has some holes in it, so I am presuming the muck got the better of it. On my way to pick up a pump now, will let you know how it turns out. Thanks to all.

Matt

Reply to
M Warren