'99 E430 service light comes on after 3600 miles

I had a oil change on my E430 at 70150 miles and now with 73750 miles on the car, the service light comes on. I thought the E430 would run more than 3600 miles between services, I've read the car should run some 10,000 to 12,000 miles between services especially in California. I noticed on the last service the mechanic put in 9 quarts of Castrol 20/50 oil . I don't misuse the car, just normal city and highway driving, put 3600 miles in the past 6 months.

Is this normal? Looking for your expert opinions and suggestions.

Thanks, John

Reply to
Ralph Koch

Was the FSS reset after the last service?

MC

Reply to
Mark Conklin

I'll bet that MC is correct.

I have my oil changed every 10k because I don't trust the FSS. Two out of the three services (I have 33,000 miles), my dealer did not reset the FSS. Worse, on my second oil change, the low oil indicator came on after a couple miles. I find it hard to understand how anyone can forget to reset the FSS after servicing. It's gotta be second nature. This and other reasons, I have lost confidence in my dealer doing quality work.

To the point - your oil service light is probably an indication of the same poor quality of service!

Al

Reply to
George

That must be it. The car runs just fine. Thanks MC.

John

Reply to
Ralph Koch