E36 325i Engine in E36 323i

Hi All, Currently I own a BMW 323i Saloon R-reg 1998 manual with 143k miles on clock. I got serious problem with my existing engine. A blown head-gasket as many has suggested an repairs are costly without any guarantee about head is cracked? Hence I want to replace it with comparative newer engine. I am getting another 325i Engine from L-reg car which only done 76k miles on clock.

Please advice me whether it is good or I should stick 323i. If I like to fit this engine than since it has got more power than do i need to change any other component like ECU etc.

Thanks and regards, PK

Reply to
pk

Should be fine (mechanically) if they are both the same type of transmission. You definitely need the ECU and possibly the engine bay wiring loom also. Is the replacement engine an M50 or M52?

JB

Reply to
JB

The E36 325 gets the M50 motor, the E36 323 gets the M52 motor. The M50 is OBD I, the M52 is ODB II. OBD I is an older technology than OBD II.

If you want an OBD II motor that is also a 325, then you need to get one out of an E46. You could swap your 2.3L for a 2.8L, and this would be a direct swap (both are the M52), probably from the same year of car. Having said all of that, the transmission should be the same (assuming both are eithe rmanual or automatic), so the bell housings should be okay with either motor.

I can't think of anything that is a show-stopper for this plan. There may be a hurdle or two, but I see no reason why you can't replace your 2.3L with a

2.8L (actually, the two motors are the same block as far as I can tell). You will likely need to swap the computer, but I'm not sure on that. Logic says the program should be different, but it is possible the program is the same, and the difference in displacement and compression ratio make up the only changes between the two motors.
Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The M52 motor in an E46 323 is NOT a 2.3 liter engine. It's 2.5 liters.

Reply to
Fred W

Same for the E36 323.

Reply to
adder1969

Sorry, I knew that. the M52 motor is also not a 323 or a 325, and I couldn't think of a better way to differentiate than to mis-state the size as 2.3L.

PS The M52 in a 323 and a 328 package is used in the E36. The E46 gets the M52 as a 325. I'm not sure of the 330, is that an M52 as well?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"Jeff Strickland" wrote

No, the E46 2.5L& 3.0L from '01 were M54 engines - aluminum block rather than aluminum with liners (or iron I forget which). And I have no idea what the designation for the ZHP motor is.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

true.