E36 328i - tensioner pulley for belts . . .

Hi , i was thinking of changing my own engine belts.

I see the tensioner pulley and have the procedure from Bentley's

I was wondering if that pulley comes off or does it just loosen to remove the belt ?

are the belts hard to put back on if that pulley gets removed ?kinda tight in there.

looks like it will come off or loosen with a long ratchet wrench and a hex bit. the air condition belt looks easy from the bottom of the car.im more worried about the engine belt.

Reply to
news

The tensioners don't come off. You only rotate using a hex bit to relieve tension.

2 words: Digital & Camera. It's the only way you'll guarantee the correct belt routing when you refit the new belts. Seriously though , it's pretty straightforward on the M50/M52 engines..

Jb

Reply to
JB

Perhaps Bentley doesn't explain it but any jockey pulley pivots on some form of arm or eccentric mechanism to tension the belt so it's just a question of turning that arm in the opposite direction against spring pressure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

thanks i kinda got that down. the bentley manual has the belt routing. although in my 1999 edition of the Bentley E36 manual i believe they have the drawings reversed between the 318 engine and my M52 6 cyl .

Reply to
news

As a rule of thumb, if the pulley is smooth then the outside of the belt comes in contact, if the pulley is ribbed then the inside surface of the belt goes there.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland